rod---pinnacle shoreline classic.
reel---abu7500ct big game
line---17lb. trilene big game
shock leader----50lb. mono
best cast to date---500 feet
wt. of lead---150g

been trying to improve my distance.

been fishing a long time.
i have seen many types of casting styles at the outer banks of north carolina. most of the styles that i have seen require that everyone within 50 feet of the caster get out of the way in order to prevent possible serious injury to the persons not casting.
i know that this danger is due to bad styles, bad equipment, bad line, bad knots, etc...
the question i have is this---can a rod and reel---like the one that i have mentioned----throw a lead 700-800ft. or should i scrap this outfit for something else?

·
Registered
551 Posts
500 Feet!

Hi "master baiter",

You should be very, very, pleased with 500 foot casts with the combination that you mentioned.

Casts in the 700 to 800 foot range is long distance tournament casting equipment only!

Yes, you will have to change your equipment to reach this distance. This along will not guarantee 700 to 800 foot distances.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks longcaster for the welcome and for the advice

from what you told me i think that my particular style must be fundamentally sound.now for step 2. and i know you guys get sick of rookie casters bugging you. do i need to practice with first a ditterent rod or a different reel? i have been on the net a lot and am pretty much familiar with most reels and rods--i.e. penn tourney mags, abu's,daiwa's, zziplex,breakaway, penn europe, etc... even though i have no idea where to buy any of them.any other advice would be great.i feel like i can trust you guys that are on this site. thanks again.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Master Baiter,

If I were you, the first thing that I would do is get together with casters who know what they are doing. Have them watch you and ask what they think of your casting technique. Because you can get to 500 feet doesn't mean that your technique is sound. I'm not trying to sound mean or harsh. After someone who knows what they are doing sees you, they can then give you suggestions. I'm a beginner like you, and I ask lots of questions.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks aero993

like i said before you guys around here seem to be on the level!
and i appreciate it. i live in graham n.c.
dont know who to talk to or where. any help out there in my area?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts