Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, im trying to figure out how to feed my fishing addiction and not break the bank this summer. im working my way through college, and dont have a load of money to spend, so a boat is out of the question. surf and pier fishing are my only options, and i totally realize its not a cheap sport, but when i only have 500-600$ to spend, it will get me alot further than saving for years for a boat.
a little background of my self. i have freshwater fished all my life, and have fished off docks on the bayside of the eastern shore of va as well, all my life. bass, bluegill, croakers, occasional trout or striper is what i usually have caught all my life. i like dock fishing and bank fishing around ponds alot, but i want to get into something "bigger". i have some questions to ask, and really appreciate any help:cool::cool:
1) i know everyone gets skunked at times, but can a surf fisher become consistent? i mean, can you get to a point where when, you go fishing, you can expect to catch something? im not talking about a 50 lb drum every trip, but can consistensy be achieved?
2) i live on the eastern shore of va. how many months of the year can you catch fish on AI? how about the CBBT seagull pier, or kipto pier?
4) when fishing ocean city or AI surf, how do you deal with all the swimmers and summer crowds? can you usually find a clear spot, or do you just not go to these places in the summer on weekends and holidays?
5) if you had 600$, what kind of rigs would you get first? im not really asking for brand names, just rod lengths, type and size reels, and what i would use em for. i can cast a abu 6000 baitcaster very well, so i think i can learn surf casting fairly quickly with conventional gear.
thanks ALOT for any advice, i really appreciate your time!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
1) Even the best fisherman will get skunked if there are simply no fish around. That being said, the more knowledge/experience you have, the greater your chances of catching more and bigger fish.

5) For $600 you could get 2 decent combos and have money left over. For under $250 you could get a good quality 12' conventional setup that can handle up to 8oz. For even less you could get a fairly good 10' spinning setup for throwing metal and light/medium bottom fishing. I'd go with something rated in the 1 - 3 oz range.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.