Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a slosh 30. I have been looking for a heaver for a while now and still not sure what to get. Okuma has yet to come out with the conventional version of its surf rods in a 12'. Tsunamis are nice, but can't find them around here for less than $109. Tica's look good too, but I hear the eyes on the tsumani's are better.
I went to Princess Anne dist'rs today and they have a "beach runner" (I think) made by Seastriker. Has anyone ever owned or used one of these? How are they compared to the tica's and similar.
If you all own a slosh 30, feel free to let me know what you have it on, if it is balanced well, and what weight you normally throw with it. Thanks p&s'ers.

Todd

·
Registered
106 Posts
Go onto ebay

the 12' Tsunamis and Tica's go for $55-65 + about 15 to ship. They are brand new rods from a dealer.

Good luck.

·
Registered
904 Posts
rod need reel

Bassn, I have the slosh 30 and paired it with the Tica and have no trouble with it at all. Usually use six ounces off the beach and it casts it well. I have the reel magged by Ryan White at Hatteras Jacksand even before with the red brakes it worked very well, I am also inerested if they are going to come out with a solaris twelve foot conventional....salt

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Bassn, haven't used th beachrunner but talking to people that do use them say they are basically th same as th Tica,Tsunami etc. For th 30 I have two an love them. Start out with both red brakes in them. Good luck.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
has anyone ever cast both the 11' rated 4-10oz tsunami and the 12' rated 6-10oz tsunami? I would like to go to 12' but if I am stuck with throwing 6 and up with it, that may not work. I fish Va Bch most of the time and don't need to go higher than 4 oz. But I want that same rod to be able to hold 10 and bait when needed. Will the 11' throw more than 10oz or will the 12' throw less than six reasonably well?

todd

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Forgive me for throwing my opinion in without having thrown a Tsunami, but everything I heard is it is th same blank as a Tica with nicer eyes. I had a 11.5' tica rated 4-10oz an it could throw 8anbait but don't even think about 10anbait. I threw 4oz with th tica an it threw it nicely.I would suspect th tsunami would do th same.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Cdog

That's the kind of info I am looking for. I am asking alot out of the rod, but I am sure there is one out there that will do it all.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
If you want a true heaver the OM 12 is probably the animal. But then you are 6 oz on the bottom end but can toss 8-10oz as needed. Your Jigmaster would probably be happy on the OM.
The slosh 30 could be used with any of the rods listed as far as balance and may function on the Jarvis Walker. Give it a cast to see.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
OM

I was throwing 10anbait th last time down to Hatt. I believe th OM would throw 12an bait if needed. :eek:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
When I was in Kitty Hawk, I "tested" my 12' spinning OM with 12 & Bait and it seemed to work fine, a little hard to cast but the rod handled it just fine. You also may wanna take a look at the Okuma Solaris rods, everyone I know who owns one just loves it.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
That OM is a beast you need atleast 12oz n bait just to load the rod;extremly stiff.Tica rated for 4-10 is good too;does perfect with 8 n bait but can throw 12oz if you need to.I have a 10' Okuma rated the same as the 12'er that everyone talks about good rod but not the best for heavy weights like described above.Depeds on what your going to use it for.Ticas are good rods I have the 7' Spinner,10' Conv rated for 2-8oz,and the heavy 12' rated for 4-10oz.I would go with that or simmilar type of rod 12' rated for 4-12oz.;)

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
bassn said:
I just picked up a slosh 30. I have been looking for a heaver ...

If you all own a slosh 30, feel free to let me know what you have it on, if it is balanced well, and what weight you normally throw with it. Thanks p&s'ers.

Todd
Got the Daiwa 30 Grand Wave (Same reel) on the OM 6-10 heaver. Takes 6 oz just to load it up...heavy rod for slinging B8-N-8 or more....

Had to cut the butt some to make it fit into the tube holder..

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
You can throw a 6 if you put some power into it;It takes a lot to load.I've thrown a 16-20oz sinker with no problem on that rod.It's a beast;a real heaver.Not for the faint of heart.:eek:

·
Registered
176 Posts
12 to 20 oz sinkers

How far are you throwing 12 oz and bait on a tica? And what about 20 oz and bait?Where are you fishing at,offshore wrecks?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The 12' Oceanmaster 6-12 is the rod decribed.I can throw 16-20oz lead with no problem.I was casting on a baseball field and had a seroius breakoff;I hope I didn't break someones window:jawdrop: :D

Fishin Fool 2;I think you'll be fine with 12n Bait on the Tica but wouldn't go any heavier.It depends on where your going to fish very seldom you need 12n Bait(only during a strong NE wind 15+).but the Tica is a good starter rod.If you can use a baitcasing reel(abu 7000) the Oceanmaster is a real good rod.Tica has the best Spinning rod (4-10oz)for heaving.It all depends.If theres somthing similar to a Tica I would get that one too.;)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Fishin Fool 2;I think you'll be fine with 12n Bait on the Tica but wouldn't go any heavier.
I hate to disagree with ya Pappy but ya try to throw 12oz with th Tica an you will prolly snap it. I am not a power caster but th Tica seemed Whippy to me. When I got my OM I had troulbe with it cuz I was casting th same way I had with th Tica. Started putting more power to it an started casting better. BTW th most I ever tossed with my Tica was 10oz by itself.

·
Registered
904 Posts
tica

I have to agree also. I am by far not a caster by anymeans, but I have the 12 tica and the sweet spot for me is around six ounces. I am sure it will cast more, but have not had to use more since I got it. I would however be afraid of more than ten...just my 02 salt

1 - 20 of 32 Posts