Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, heading to Costa Mesa next week. Would like to possibly drop a line in the west pond, anybody know someone near Huntington Beach or Newport Beach that would care to take an NC good ol boy fishing and sharing there gear?

Any of you from that area or ever fished out there? I have been looking at there local forum (a bit different out there). They call gulp shrimp "crack" and halibut "butt" and most of there fishing seems to be with artificials.(probably not found to healthy in the state of Cali. to come in contact with cut bait or fresh shrimp):D

If any of you have any helpful info it would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Walt, thanks for the reply. My problem is that I will be on business during the day. I am kinda hoping to do some surf fishing or if all else fails go to one of the piers. Been on scsurffishing.com and have had response from a couple of guys but have not nailed anything down yet. From what I have been reading on their forum it does seem to be a bit slow compared to here, but you cant catch em if you aint wettin your hook.
Again I appreciate your response.

·
Banned
946 Posts
Walt, thanks for the reply. My problem is that I will be on business during the day. I am kinda hoping to do some surf fishing or if all else fails go to one of the piers. Been on scsurffishing.com and have had response from a couple of guys but have not nailed anything down yet. From what I have been reading on their forum it does seem to be a bit slow compared to here, but you cant catch em if you aint wettin your hook.
Again I appreciate your response.
For a last resort, you can rent gear at the piers. Or you could pick up a $20 combo at walmart and toss it when coming back home. In CA, you'll just need 2-3 oz weights and some bottom rigs. Most people do fish bass rods for surf perch, but you can get the bigger fish using the NC style of throwing over the breaks.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks skunk king, just arrived here in Costa Mesa couple hours ago. Getting ready to head down to the beach and check it out. Had already thought of the rental deal, but am thinking more one the lines of tossing from the surf.
Not exactly sure what my afternoon schedule will be yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts