Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What rod/reel/line combos are most effective using this plug when fishing for Spanish Macs from the Hampton Roads area piers?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
(Preface: This is my blues setup, but should work since I throw similar lures at spanish macs.)
I prefer to use abu 6500c4 on a MH 7'6 spooled with 15# yo-zuri. I like the higher 6:1 ratio the C4 gives you for faster retrieves for blues. The instant anti-reverse on the abu and most conv's gives better hooksets. The MH rod gives some backbone to set the hook and fling the fish over the rails. The yo-zuri lines holds up to those nasty teeth. (Avoid leaders when casting to spanish macs)
If it's windy and I need to toss into the wind, I'll bring a similar sized spinning outfit for easier casting into headwinds.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would recommend a rod not over 7'. Using longer rods from piers to impart the correct pause/jerk action will only serve to fatigue the fisherman. A light, stiff graphite works best for me. It is effecienct in transferring the jerk motion to the lure. Personally, I use a spinning setup, but a light weight conventional also works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts