Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a few days in Ocean City for a bachelor party this weekend through yesterday (Ocean City-- the only city in America WITHOUT A SINGLE $%&^*$#@* stripper).

Anyway, I hit the JudithM with my brother for yesterday's morning trip. The JuditM leaves from Bahia Marina, on the Bay side just across from Phillips (20th St or so).

Now the boat is nice enough and the mate (Kane) was excellent, but I can't help but feel totally ripped off by this trip. The trip runs 8am to 12.30, which is standard. The problem is that Bahia is far enough away from the inlet that it took about 40 minutes to even get to the inlet and dela with the draw bridge, then we had to run another 50 minutes to get to the fishing grounds. While there we initially did well on sea bass and had a few tog, but the captain decided to move us off of a very productive wreck to try drifting somewhere else for some reason. Well, we ran another 10 minutes to get to the drifting spot, which was totally unproductive, then it was 11 o'clock... and time to head back in. With all the resetting of the drifts, etc, we had approximately one hour and ten minutes of fishing time on a four and a half hour trip. Utterly ridiculous.

I'll never go out of Bahia Marina for anything again.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I went on the boat in May, it may take a while to get out to the water depending on traffic on the bridge. That captian and mate are very good and will give you good tips and keep you on the fish as long as they are plentiful. now being a captain myself i know how it is to take people away from the fish to a more productive location. you have to remember that if everyone is not catching fish they have to adjust for what they think is best. I have rode in the helm, not fished and saw everything that was going on with the electronics. They only stop when the fish are really thick enough for all the people on board to possible catch something.

Just remember,
They can take you to the fish but cant make them bite.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With all due respect, Gwaud, that simply wasn't the case here-- this wasn't a matter of getting us to the fish and the fish not biting-- port, starboard, and stern were pulling up fish. This was seemingly a matter of a captain in love with running, something I think that most everyone here has seen at one time or another. Additionally, the delay wasn't a matter of traffic on the bridge-- maybe a 5 minute wait each way-- it's the loation of the Bahia Marina. As you know, the channel run over, out, over, across, in, out-- from Bahia, that translates to 35 minutes to the inlet if the captain hits it at :25 or :55 when the bridge is up. Add to that a fairly slow boat once it does finally reach the ocean and you have 1:10 of fishing on a 4.5 hour trip. That's ludicrous. it gets worse when you have a captain who wants to run & drift rather than staying put over a productive spot, but, let's be realistic-- he only burned 20 minute or so doing that. Even if he would've simply stayed where people were catching, you're still looking at a trip that is 2/3 going out and coming back and 1/3 fishing. That's just not good, especially when you can go out of Shantytown, the Fishing Center, or even Angler's and reach open water in relatively no time.

·
Registered
399 Posts
True the bahia is up 20+ streets from the bridge and going around the condo line is hell when you want to get out and fish. they would do better time wise if they were closer like in west OC instead on north. When I went fishing with them in May they was running a full days from 7 to 3. I caught a limit of bass within the 1st hour along with dog sharks. Did you catch any big bass or tog. Have anyone start catching anything different yet.
:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts