Pier and Surf Forum banner

Good fishing duds

Question: 
887 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  mud 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I am looking to stay warm and dry this fall and winter and need a few things to make it happen. I am wondering what you use to accomplish this feat. I just can't go and impulse buy some crap and be frustrated with it as I use it. I have been looking around a bit but have not seen anything yet. One thing I am looking for is a jacket that will be waterproof and functional. I would be willing to spend up to 200 clams if it is a good one. Another item I am shopping for is a pair of waders for inlets and surf. On a side note, I am 6'4'',185 so it is difficult to find sleeves that fit and a waist line that does not make me look like a "bell" when I wear an xl. Anyways, If you have personal experience with some good gear and would like to chime in, that would be cool. Thanks, Norm
:fishing:

#2 ·
I use a waterproof, windproof Military Gore-Tex camo jacket. Beneath this I wear a pair of poli-pro's (top and bottom), a flannel shirt, jeans, and Redhead waterproof leather boots. That's all I wear when Winter fishing whether it's the beach or jetty - specifically IRI/3R's in Jan or Feb. I do not wear waders on the jetty - just not safe...

Sandcrab

#4 ·
THe poly-pro will melt you out unless it's really cold. I have a pair of them and they're seriously VERY toasty. Best thing to do no matter what you're wearing is to wear a base layer that wicks moisture away, and then layer on top of that. Multiple thinner layers beats fewer thicker layers.

#3 ·
I can second Sandcrabs waterproof Redhead boots. I got a pair last fall before I went to Colorado to work a ranch. I got some with 600 grams of insulation and Gore Tex for a little over $100.00 (they were on sale). I rode one day for a solid 7 hours, feet surrounded by air (in a stirrup), and this was at 10k feet in 20 below zero. Those dang things WORK!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.