Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally twisted my wife's arm to get that 11 foot Tica and that MAG525.

Any qwirks regarding the rod and reel I should know about b4 I make the purchase?

What is the ideal size of monfilament I should use?

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
1) Not a lot of line capacity--keep it light.

2) I've found it much easier to toss lighter weights with it than heavier ones. It doesn't care for weights over five or six ounces, especially with a fast-action rod.

It does have a nice high-speed retrieve, though, which is handy for bringing in long casts. I actually use it to throw lures like Stingsilvers in the fall.

·
Registered
98 Posts
People I know of that use the 525 Mag won't go beyond twenty pound test, most use a lower test, around the twelve pound test range.

Soapfish

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
??????Thought it was rated @ 15lbs test-275 yards??????

I could probably spool it with 20lbs or 17lbs test and have @ least 200 yards to toss around.??????

I plan on using it,bottom fishing for cobia and red drum this summer.

So the 525 mag is not a recommended real to toss 8nbait?

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
ns4d,I have talked to plenty of people that love that reel. My main concern would be line capacity. My first conv was a daiwa sl30 an I love it. Got 2 now an am gonna prolly get a third if I get my OM for my Bday. :D

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah,love my Slosh30,too.Was thinking of getting another one,but I am getting a sweet deel on the 525 MAG.

That I also never owned a baitcaster with magnet breaks before.I hoping to lessen my blow-outs,which I completely understand comes with owning a conventional.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The 525 Mag has plenty of line capacity for drum and probably all but the largest cobia.

I have landed several large drum on the north beach with heavy current and have been no where near the spool on that reel. I use 15lb Suffix superior on it.

I would seriously consider putting the additonal mags in the reel,as it is wickedly fast straight out of the box. I had several furballs to illustrate that point to me and I have a fairly educated thumb. :)

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanxs-Where do I get the additional mags.And How much $$$$$$$$$$$?

Chest2head-PA Distributors 17th Street

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Good luck finding parking now that they reopened 17th Street Surf shop. I wanted to go to PA last week but I couldnt find a parking space within 5 blocks. Stupid surfers (oh wait, that's me).

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
On My 525MAG I use 17lb test P-line with it and a 50lb shockleader. Mine is on a Breakaway 1418/2 and I throw 6 and bait and 6-8oz anchors with it.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanxs-Digger & Fish Hunter,as we speak,I am looking on the board for a nice knot 4 a shockleader.I am also adjusting my Mag controls.Yall been a great help!

Chest2Head,go across the street to the Exxon and ask 4 Alex,he's my brother -in -law.Tell him yo know me(AL).He will let you park there so you can tend 2 business @ PA Distributors.

·
Registered
756 Posts
The 525 Mag is awesome period.

12lb test huh? Ha try 17# Sufix Tri-Plus, Im sure you'll have plenty of line to fight a big fish after a long cast. Trust me. Have quite a few big drum(one 50"+) and some monster rays on mine and never thought about gettin spooled.

Dosnt like anything over 5-6oz??? Mine throws 8-bait all day long.

Call Hatteras Outfitters and ask Tres to do his mag conversion to it, its almost impossible to blow up.

'Nuff said....othern I need another one lol.

Adam

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Adam, I guess you need to teach Sand Flea how to cast a bait caster then.
LMAO
Sand Flea, isn't that the reel that the line release lever snapped off the first month you had it?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
The wieght is more a function of the rod than any thing else. Flea's Rod and Mine are on the same blank. His guide placement is a little different than mine, I don't know about the slining of his rod either, both could make a difference. I have no problems. I even had Salty make my 525MAG faster. I believe that Flea has been throwing to many spinners. HeHe ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 525mag and have been satisfied with it. Its mounted on a 10.5' custom rod using a breakaway 1266 blank rated 2-5 oz. Not a heavy drum rod for sure, but I actually wanted a rig that I could use over a broader range of fishing applications...and, I like conventional stuff for bottom fishing.

I wish that I could give you an experienced fish-catching performance report, but up to now I'll only landed one spot with it! LOL! Hopefully, my luck will change in a few weeks while down at the OBX. ;)

·
Registered
756 Posts
NSearch4Drum, you mean this one? :D

I caught her on a 7500c3ct Abu, didnt get a pic of the one on the 525, although she was close to being as big.

Adam

1 - 20 of 21 Posts