Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's bitting and where are a few good spots? Also, I heard that there is a saltwater license required. How much is it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Baran013
Gonna get those eBay purchases some water time? :D Good luck!
Being a holiday weekend, I'd avoid VA Beach Pier because you'll pay $20 just to park 5 blocks away from the pier. (If you want to fish Rudee Inlet - you can get lucky and get a meter spot early in the mornings but keep feeding them because the meter maids are pretty harsh - there's also a parking lot there that's usually $10/day but it'll be $15-$20 for next weekend).
From the reports, the piers have been producing consistently before this storm blew in this weekend. The blues were hitting off of Little Island pier and saw a bunch of croaker (small) off of bottom rigs on Friday (5/16) right after the morning high tide. Flounder have been caught off of Grandview. But to answer you question, it depends on what you're after (cobia, croaker, blues, spanish, flounder, etc). I'd follow the reports this week to get a better idea for next weekend.
As far as fishing licenses go, if you fish off a pier, typcially no license is required. I know Lynnhaven has that policy. You may want to call or check with the pier before you go to make sure you're covered w/out a license. Also, DO get a license if you fish from the beaches, inlets, etc. Even if you have to shell out more if you're an out of stater, the fines are around $100 and they've been out in force.
Tight Lines.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Consider going out on a head boat for Sea Bass or Flounder. No licence is required and you've got a better chance of catching fish. Cost is about $20 for half day.
;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey chest,
How is that tica rod treating you?

Fellow surfers,
Thanks for all the posts on the v-beach area.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Werd - I hear the beaches and inlets are being checked for unlicensed fishermen regularly.

I know a guy that was with 2 buddies. Of the 3 of them only 1 had a state ID and only 1 had a fishing lisence. 2 of the three went to jail plus got fines.

Be careful and do what you have to do to be legal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
you can also buy a non-resident temporary licence. i think it is 5 bucks and is good for 10 days. graphixdude what were those two guys arrested for ? illigel fish ? drunk in public ?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to cancel the v-beach trip this weekend. My mother in law tripped and broke her tibia. So now I have a family commitment. I might get down to lewes, de for the end of this week. Probably not though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fished IRI on Wednesday evening and Thursday morning. Had a good time on Wednesday but should have stayed in bed thursday morning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts