Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's pretty dead on the board today so I thought that I's start this thread. Some of my goals for this year are:
a 5+lb flounder, I haven't even caught a keeper in 3 years
my first sizable cobia, I caught a small one by accident at solomon's island, md
a 40+ inch striper, largest so far is 33"
a double digit tog, largest was 9 3/4 lbs last year
and of course meet more of you guys, I've probably met over 50 P&S people last year
That's pretty much it that I can think of. What are your goals for 2004?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Anthony, It was great to meet you and Shaggy at the Kitty Hawk deal, as well as all the other great P&S folks. That for sure is a good goal for this year, I think I'll try that too.

Oh, and Catch a fish over 15 inches.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Goals fo 2004

Fish as often as I can without getting the wife mad.

Like to get another combo.

Got to get this house hunting over with, losing too many weekends to looking at houses and hopefully it won't be to far from the water.

Looking at some houses in Berekley County, WV tomorrow.

Have fun, attend some P&S gathering and meet other members, enjoy the outdoors and try to catch a few dinners.

Setting your goals too high and you could be setting yourself up for a disappointing season.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd rather have my goals too high than too low. Heck cdog already caught his biggest striper ever, and it only took him 3 days to do it :). Besides I'm sure I'll achieve my last goal so that'll be good enough for me. Everything else is just gravy.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I wanna pick up at least one more heaver and I want to catch something big dont care what it is. And my main goal is to catch a Cobe tried all summer with out anything Id be happy with one that hit a gotcha plug if it weighed less then a pound just wanna catch one.

·
Registered
680 Posts
anthony. i see that making peace with ralph was not one of your goals. that's cool.
if any go to the amsa sport show in salisbury on march 5-6-7- stop by the de.mobile sportfishermen booth and say hi. i'll be there all 3 days.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
My goals, break th 40" barrier on any fish. Break th 30# barrier on any fish. But most importantly just to fish more an make more friends an fishing buddies and have fun.:)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I hope to:

Get to some of the P&S get-togethers and put faces with names
Catch a good-size king
Catch my first good cobia(over 10#)
Break my 100 yd casting barrier
Fish some NC piers (haven't since '98)
Catch a brown trout on fly tackle
Get a glimpse of the CGP sailfish (see "Sailfish Question" thread)

And as far as unrealistic goals go :rolleyes::
Catch a tarpon on fly tackle
Hook the CGP sailfish
Go on a marlin trip
Find a new Penn International II 130ST and matching all-roller
rod on my doorstep
:D

Oh well. I can dream, can't I? :rolleyes:

Evan

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Still looking for last year's goal of a Trophy Striper
Hope to meet and fish with as Many P and S friends as possible
To fish Montauk and the Hudson for the first time

And I'll most likey will add more goals as the year goes by.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Billr, us and the distance casters are cool. Before and after the competition, we're cool, but day of, everyone may want to watch out. I may have to add catching a king mac from shore, I did it once on a boat in FL but reeling in a 5lb king on 80lb test ain't my idea of fishing.

·
Registered
680 Posts
cocaflea. i don't remember the year, but it was late 80's. i caught a tagged striper, and it was 3 days short of three years when it was tagged and released in the hudson river.

D

·
0 Posts
Might be outta reach but...

red drum over 30"
striper over 30"
citation blue cat ( hopefully on monday)
a keeper flounder
meeting you guys and...
more fishing!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

My ongoing goal is to catch a true "cow" striper, but I'll be happy breaking the 40" mark. I hope to do that at the Hudson Fish-In....

My other goal is to catch my first red drum, hopefully from a pier or the surf. Like Anthony said, everthing else is pure gravy!

Then there's that pipe dream $5000.00 fluke in Margate. But I'm due -- I've missed that jackpot by 1/100 lb too many times!

Of course, I have personal goals that don't change from year to year -- a "true" doormat fluke, a double digit tog, and a ton of freshwater P.B.s that I need to break.

Hopefully I'll get to meet more P&S members while pursuing these fish. I'll be seeing cocoflea for the first time when we cohost the Hudson Fish-In, and I figure the Choptank Clean-Up/Fish-In will become an annual event. I should be able to make the IRI Clean-up/Fish-In this year, and now that I know where the big tog hide out, it should be very productive. I'm sure somebody will put a P&S charter together, too!

Sounds like I'm booked until the Fall Blitz!

Here's to a great 2004!

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Get up and fish with those crazy and funny guys again from KDH.

Get the Doggie curse off me tackle(ain't that right?,Bucket)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Goals

To try new things,new place and catch good fish.Maybe I'll hook up with a Red Drum thats bigger than 6".Thats the only Red I caught in my whole life.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Orest
How did the house hunting go in Berkley, WV?
We go at least once a month to Berkeleys Springs WV. We have a lot of friends there and really enjoy it. The river is nice to fish in too.

·
Registered
680 Posts
M.Jake. over the years i have caught many rock[stripers]. my largestwas 48 1/2 lb. in IRI, iy weigheed in at 44lb. what is a true cow striper? i never heard that term.:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Billr!

Not to diminish your achievments, but a true cow is a 50 pounder or better. These fish are usually over 60 inches in length. They are the big females with the genetic make-up that allowed them to reach that size, and are hopefully passing those genes on to their offspring. Normally less than 1 % of the striper poulation reaches this size, with even fewer fish exceeding it.

Frank Daginault referes to them as "the fish of a lifetime", and he has predicted that the survivors of those first big year classes that began the recovery of the fishery will be hitting that size this decade, and that now is the time to start fishing for big fish. The big fish behave a little differently from their smaller brothers and sisters, and require a different approach.

Mike Laptew has verified on film that big stripers behave differently than smaller (30 - 45 lb) stripers. They relate to schools differently. They relate to structure differently. And they relate to prey differently. Check out Mike's newest CD "Stripers Gone Wild" when it comes out in March....

Sounds like you're on your way to breaking that 50 pound mark. Of course, once you do that, there's the 60 pound mark, then the big enchalada (sp?). Mike saw what he believed to be an eighty pounder on a recent dive.... That fish is wntering somewhere right now, her weight augmented by ripening roe. Something to think about this Spring!

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I'm determined to catch a red over 50" this year. So far 46" is the record for me.

Flounder over 25". Gotta do that and on #6 tackle, that would be quite a feat.

Catch a tarpon. From the surf would be even nicer.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
My goal is to finish what I started two years ago. My wife is laughing. I have so many things going that it will take the next two years toget done.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts