Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man,,, I ordered a crap load of 2" glow sticks to put inside the balloons when I'm floating out balloon rigs. I put five off them in a white helium grade balloon, turned the lights out, and they don't put off nearly as much light as I was hoping for. I think what I'm going to do is put five of them in the balloon itself, and attach one or two to the line below the balloons. They come with little plastic rings, so I can slide a couple of those up the line first to attach the glow sticks. Next time I'm going with the regular 6" glow sticks in white and green. I should be able to get them in the balloons. Hopefully the regular ones will be bright enough. They have "high intensity" glow sticks, which are REALLY bright, but they only last for 30 minutes. I ordered the glow sticks off ebay, but do you guys know of somewhere near the Chesapeake Virginia area that sells them? I'd like to pick up some of the 6" glow sticks up for Sunday night.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
don't know much bout the glowsticks but i would be quiet bout them balloon rigs. I think they are illegal.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh, thanks for the heads up. I've never heard that before. The funny thing is I originally got the idea of putting the glow stick in them from a charter I went on locally. I know it's illegal in the state of Virginia to release mass helium balloons into the air, I haven't heard anything about them being illegal the way I was planning on using them. If you find a link that mentions that, let me know man. I really need that info.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is about the closest thing I could find by googling it, and it doesn't say anything about using balloon rigs.

VIRGINIA

§ 29.1-556.1. Release of certain balloons prohibited; civil penalty.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly release or cause to be released into the atmosphere within a one-hour period fifty or more balloons which are (i) made of a nonbiodegradable or nonphotodegradable material or any material which requires more than five minutes' contact with air or water to degrade and (ii) inflated with a substance which is lighter than air. Any person who violates this section shall be liable for a civil penalty not to exceed five dollars per balloon released above the allowable limit, which shall be paid into the Lifetime Hunting and Fishing Endowment Fund established pursuant to § 29.1-101.1.

B. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) balloons released by or on behalf of any agency of the Commonwealth, or the United States or pursuant to a contract with the Commonwealth, the United States, or any other state, territory or government for scientific or meteorological purposes or (ii) hot air balloons that are recovered after launch. (1991, c. 607.)

This law is in Title 29 of the Code of Virginia, enforced by local law enforcement and prosecuted by local Commonwealth’s Attorney. So, if you know of any plans to release a large number of balloons into the air, notify local law enforcement. Be sure to quote the Code section...they may not be familiar with it.

The way I rig my rigs up the balloon doesn't pop (not usually anyway), so I wouldn't imagine it would be a problem. Again, if you find a link with some info. that says it's illegal, pleas let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Yup, balloons is a no no for fishn,, they say sea turtles eat them and die so it's a no no.

PS--- how big around are them 2" glow sticks, I would like to see one of them.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's crazy to me. It seams like if they let you release up to 50 helium balloons per hour into the atmosphere, you ought to be able to use one or two to float out bait!! I mean, if you're releasing a bunch of them into the atmosphere, most of them are going to be in the water anyway. I'd still like to see something in writing where it says I'm not aloud to use them. I'm just frustrated because I spent around 40-50 dollars on balloons and glow sticks, and now I can't use them.

Shooter, the glow sticks are 2" long, and about a quarter inch in diameter. If you go to ebay and type in "2" glow sticks", you'll find a bunch of them. They'd work fine for a rod tip, but they don't put out nearly as much light as the bigger ones do. I got the whole balloon and glow stick idea while sword fishing last winter. It works well with the big glow sticks. On the charter I was on, we were floating the balloon rigs out probably 100 yards from the boat, and you could see the balloon fine at night with the 6" glow sticks in them.

·
Registered
998 Posts
i wonder, does a sheep skin jimmy count as a balloon? are they biodegradable?

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I found out from a buddy of mine that it's definitely not illegal to use balloon rigs in the state of VA, but, as he said, the right thing to do would be to stay away from them because the turtles mistake them for jellyfish. I guess I'll just pick up some stick floats or something and try that.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Ya just have to remember this is Jeff, he is my buddy but he is Jeff, he doesn't have to make sence but he is Jeff :rolleyes: he also goes by Taint but that is a story for a campfire and cold beer :D

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
instead of balloon, take a pool noodle, they have a hollow center, cut a small chunk of the pool noodle. then, feed your main line through the center of the noodle chunk, when you have the desired depth you want your bait to be at, take your main line and wrap it 3-4 times around the pool noodle, and put a rubber band over it.

as soon as a fish pulls hard on it, line will slip out of the rubberband, and the 3-4 coils of line will simply slide off, and then you will be fighting your fish, while the noodle chunk just slides up and down your line, not giving any resistance to you or the fish...

take yourself a glow stick and rubber band it to the pool noodle chunk..it'll work just fine, and should be able to see it great too.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
how bout just holding your rod while the bait floats itself out.
thats a fabulous idea,, no?
use braid? braid floats.. put a bait on the hook and the current takes it out.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Sharking requires big baits. That means a large amount of flotation to get the bait out. I like the noodle idea.

Also you could try picking up a battery-operated light-up float at Wal-Mart. They are really bright and the battery lasts quite a while Clip it on the line right above the balloon. When the balloon breaks off the lit float stays on the line so you can use it again. The float doesn't provide enough drag to cause problems.

Evan

1 - 20 of 30 Posts