Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for their hospitality. P&S is a great site and I've thoroughly enjoyed all the post, and you guys really are great.

My question is, is there a glove that is conducive to casting, and all around fishing. I'll be at OBX in a couple of weeks, and with the drop in the temp here in the past few days here in the Carolinas, I'd like to be prepared for anything that may arise. Was at Carolina Beach last Nov. and the weather was similar to the current. During the day was perfect, but early morn. and late afternoon, the hands would get a little stiff. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
neoprenes with the fingers cut off or a pair of the fingerless rag wool gloves normally work...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
neoprenes with the fingers cut off or a pair of the fingerless rag wool gloves normally work...
That's the problem, It's the fingertips and knuckle joints that I have a problem with. It doesn't even have to be extremely cold. Guess I have bad blood flow in my extremities. Feels like needles and a smashed finger tip when exposed to really cold temps for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
You could also try keeping a couple of hand warmers in your pockets... ;)

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Ever try those "glomits"? The top "mit" folds up to expose your fingers. This can get in the way but I've managed. You can get them anywhere from Wally World to LL Bean.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a pair of Hatch police gloves that I love. They are built for dexterity, strength and comfort. I am even able to tie a rig. They are made to be cut resistant and treated to be water(and blood) proof. Have been casting braid with a spinner and no major wear on the finger tip. A little pricey for gloves but well worth it. Here a link to some gloves I found, don't know the exact ones I have but, to each his own. http://www.ombexpress.com/category~cat~425.asp

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
That's the problem, It's the fingertips and knuckle joints that I have a problem with. It doesn't even have to be extremely cold. Guess I have bad blood flow in my extremities. Feels like needles and a smashed finger tip when exposed to really cold temps for extended periods of time.

Rick... a couple of the chemical hand warmers in your pockets and you'll be alright with the fingerless gloves... I'd personally suggest the neoprenes as you'll want to be taking wet gloves off anyways, then you got the warmers in your pockets... the little bit of moisture left in the neo's will warm quickly when you stick your hands back in them... Dale...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Try baseball batting gloves! I use the same ones i use for batting they seem to work perfectly fine for me, they help you keep a grip on the rod/reel while easing casting! Also you might want to get some hand warmers along with them though couse since they are batting gloves they should be made to let you stay cool!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No harm-No foul;) We're all fisher-MEN, Right??:D

Thanks for the tips, I think I'll chk into the hand warmers.
How long do these last? Might stuff them in my mantyhose.:D

·
Registered
712 Posts
try wells lamont grips they have a cowhide palm and fingers and spandex backs they also come insulated 12.95 at wally world

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Out of curiosity, are you a smoker? I had the same problem as you when I was a smoker because of the issues with decreased circulation to my extremities from smoking. I'm sure my heart has a hard enough time getting blood there anyway (I'm a VERY tall fella). Once I quit smoking, I haven't had any issues getting cold hands or feet.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Thanks for the tips, I think I'll chk into the hand warmers.
How long do these last?
they're supposed to last 5-6 hours, but that depends how old they are... make sure they're of recent manufacture... they should have at least 2 years left till the expiration date on the package...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very good observation my man.

Gotta have a vise! Live with 4 women:eek: and I can't fish enough!:fishing::fishing::fishing:

However, I've always been very cold natured. Hands have had a rough life and the joints feel the tale.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Check out the hunting section next time you go by a sporting goods store. They sound like they'd work good for you. I have some hunting gloves that are fingerless but have a mitten part that pulls back when you need your fingers to shoot or whatever. I like the ones with magnets instead of velcro, they seem to be a little better made.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I use a pair of Glacier Gloves. They are thin Neo with cuts for your fingers and thumbs. The real key to them working is they keep the body of your hand warm and the blood will keep the fingers warm. When it get real cold (ice on the line) I put a hand warmer in the palm of the glove.

·
Registered
188 Posts
One can also look at golfing Glove, very soft leather ,after drying when gotten wet still retains softness, Golf shop here has 4 gloves for $20.00 so left & right cost $40.00 for 4 pr very flexible

1 - 20 of 26 Posts