Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody has some input on some fishing gloves that will keep your hands toasty while still providing dexterity to thumb the spool or hold the line while casting a spinner? Also, if the gloves get a little damp, will they still keep your hands warm?

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you aren't looking for anything too thick try batting (baseball) gloves in black. Spray some waterproofing on them. Light enough to still be able to move around and a dark color will hold a little more heat from the sun. Used to do this bass fishing in the colder months.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the input, guys. I like spotted trout fishing in the cooler months, but some days it's a little rough on the hands. I think the fingerless wool gloves should be the best fit.....I'll be fishing FLA and once it gets any lower than 45 degrees (thereabouts), I try to stay off the water.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the input, guys. I like spotted trout fishing in the cooler months, but some days it's a little rough on the hands. I think the fingerless wool gloves should be the best fit.....I'll be fishing FLA and once it gets any lower than 45 degrees (thereabouts), I try to stay off the water.
problem I had with wool is cold wind blows through them. They also can get wet. I bought a fairly good waterproof glove and cut the thumb and forefinger down enough to wind reel.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
When fishing from my kayak in below freezing temps or surf fishing in the cold I use neoprene gloves that the thumb and index finger pull back for use. 45° like a summer day;-) more fun when your line freezes in the tip of your rod.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
I just buy a whole bundle of them brown work cloves at the dollar store and cut one casting finger tip off.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I just picked up a pair of glacier angler gloves. They are neoprene with fleece lining. the Thumb and index on both fingers fold back and have velcro to hold them back. I used them wading the surf last weekend. Lows 30s air temp, 52* water, and at night. My hands were almost uncomfortably warm and they were wet too!

·
Registered
769 Posts
kurazykracka - sounds good. Water goes thru the neoprene - correct? Wet hands but still confrontable? Where to get them - thanks - glenn

/

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
kurazykracka - sounds good. Water goes thru the neoprene - correct? Wet hands but still confrontable? Where to get them - thanks - glenn

/
Neoprene is waterproof, these gloves however are not due to the slits in the finger tips to allow them to be folded back. The way neoprene works is it holds a thin layer of water that acts as insulation, the water doesn't transfer through to your body making you wet.

http://www.tackledirect.com/glacier...RL_WQg-1td05-k36wieDRlrUVB_rna-N30aAmJt8P8HAQ

these are the gloves I am using.

·
Registered
115 Posts
KurazyKracka,
I was looking at those on Amazon this weekend. They sell for about 30$ if its the same type you have. Looks like a good glove and I'm planning to order a pair. Does the Velcro give you any trouble holding the finger tips back?
R/D

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
When it's really cold but I need dexterity, but also to keep my hands dry...I pair wool fingerless gloves with latex gloves pulled over them. Allows you to get your hands a little wet but keeps your fingertips sensitive enough to tie knots. Bonus: you look like a fishing proctologist.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts