Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, this isn't a "big-un" report, more of a caught a bunch of little ones and tagged them report.

Fished Gloucester Pier from 10a - 12p Thursday on a high rising incoming tide with wind right out of the East blowing some water over the planks.

Again, everyone was doing this, so it was no big deal, but I tagged / released 18 small flounder (10" mostly) on small pieces of shrimp on a double-bottom rig.

I had the double-bottom rig out trying to get a spot or croaker for cut bait this weekend, but when it became clear that I was only going to get little flounders, I started targeting them to get the tag numbers up.

Saw a few croaker caught, some seabass, pinfish, oyster toads, and puffers as well. One huge croaker.

THROW MORE / MOST / MAYBE A FEW OF THE BIG ONES BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gloucester or Yorktown

Hey man do you have more luck fishing at Gloucester Point or the Yorktown Jetties. What are some good "hotspots" in Virginia.

later

P.S. I got my saltwater license. Haha.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carrying a freshwater license to the York River .... geesh. Talk about a short fishing day.

Different times of year seem to make the Jetties or the Pier better. For instance, in the spring the pier seems to hold more larger fish, but then I think the better fishing shifts to the Yorktown side in late-May - June. Then back to the Gloucester side in the late-fall again.

Right now though it's just those little flounder around that I've been able to catch, but I'm sure there's some bigger ones mixed in ... just like last week when I got a 20" and missed a 19".

I think that any beach, with any jetty is a good place to surf fish with jigs for flounder, you guys will just have to drive a little further to get to those places.

THROW MORE / MOST / MAYBE A FEW OF THE BIG ONES BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys drove a long way to make 8 casts, drink a mountain dew and then head home. The flounder will be there through early-October though, so you've still got time.

THROW MORE / SOME / A FEW OF THE BIG ONES BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
What happened? 8 casts and leave. I fished the jetties for a while at 4:30pm.
Moved to the Creeks and caught black drum.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those young'uns done forgot their proper documentation and was forced to beat a hasty retreat when da' law started poking around.

Jake Ace

D

·
0 Posts
hey digger what creek did u catch the drum on and with what bait. after we were forced to leave we went to felsgate and indian river and didnt catch diddily. sorry i missed you digger but i had to go to work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts