Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the Gilmerton on Friday. 3 slot pups and 1 22" speck. Slow but all in all a good day. All caught on fresh mullet.Missed one speck probably a little smaller than the one I kept.

·
Registered
916 Posts
If I had to guess (which is never safe) Id say he parked in the small gravel area on the side opposite Smorgan Steel and then walked to the water. I used to always walk over the RR tracks, go down the rockpile and fish the corner. Casting out into the channel we would always catch horses croaker (bycatch), black drum, puppies and even a sheepie every now and then. Not trying to burn spots, but that is how we used to always shore fish the Gilmy..

·
Registered
265 Posts
I know where?

I wonder is SteveO the same guy I saw yesterday 3:45pm (Tuesday) walking to his truck across Military Highway carrying two large Pup's? :eek:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not me. Park on either side. I fish on the right side going south on Military. Walk
towards the bridge and you will see where they have cut back the reeds. As you walk towards the water you will see a path through the remaining reeds. follow it until you see an opening. Someone left some sand spikes for your poles. Good little spot. Can't really be seen from the road. I've done well on cut mullet and gulps normally I fish the incoming but fished the out going on my recent trip. Fish closer to shore than you might expect. Crabs can be a problem but that should be a moot point soon. I usually can cast net for bait right at this spot but sometimes I cast across from Johnsons bait and tackle about a 1/2 mile down the road.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ok, Steve O thanks for responding. Now is that path to the left or the right. I know where you're talking about where they have cut back the weeds. :popcorn:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As soon as you go down the embankment you can see the path through the reeds to the left. Nice secluded little spot. I like to stop after work ,but Friday I will be celebrating my permanent promotion to supervisor at the shipyard.Woo Hoo! I may try to make it out Saturday depending on the tide. I haven't figured out how to get to the channel yet, but I understand that the striper action is better in the channel.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Steve try the other side of the bridge (per my previous post)...get into the channel on that side easier. I always enjoyed that side more anyways, as more peopel focused on the other side

1 - 8 of 8 Posts