Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to purchase a gill net for mullet.....if any one knows where to buy gill nets please let me know where also florida gill net regulations:fishing:

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Gill nets are strictly prohibited in Florida. If you want to catch mullet, I'd suggest a castnet.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I think this is the same guy who wanted the nets to tow the nets behind his boat. This too was Illegal. whats next? Dynomite to blow the Fish out of the water.

Just say no to Poaching!!!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Gill nets are prohibited for a reason. Even if they were legal, I would like to think most anglers would frown upon using them anyways....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Get a cast net for mullet and learn how to throw it. Like the above poster states there are several good reasons why gillnets are outlawed here and responsible recreational anglers and conservationists like it that way. There is currently a loophole in the law that allows for the use of certain nets that for all practical purposes behave as a gill net but are configured as cast nets. These have mostly been used to catch commercial quantities of spanish macks but even during their short employment they have proven to have the same negative effects as the original gear that was banned in the 90's. Abandoned gear made irretrievable by way of entanglement with the reef or other structure eventually ensnares not only the target fish but all sorts of other marine life. Turtles, dolphin, sharks and rays, birds....you name it gill nets kill it...and all of it goes to waste (not to mention what it can do to coral and sponges). A cast net (even a puny 6fter) can get you all of the mullet any recreational angler could ever want and then some.

BTW the way to close the loophole in the law is for the FWC to be able to regulate mesh size on hand thrown cast nets. Support this change in the regulation as it will have good effects on both makerel and pompano numbers. Many people have reported gill netted pompano showing up in commercial fish houses...these same fish have been reported as being landed in federal waters....how anyone can say with a straight face that they are cast netting/gilling pompano in federal waters is beyond me but it seems right now for some it is a catch me if you can sort of scenario with this gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts