Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Read the review sand flea wrote regarding the beautifully mastered wooden Gibbs plugs.But I also like the wooden plugs manufactured by Atom.
I already have 1 of the Atom's(1 oz speckled baby blue striper plug with a teazer on the last barb, Striper Swiper)

I am convinced that wood is deffinitely the way to go when trying to cast into a head wind,during an obscene striper/blue fish blitz,but I would like yall's feed back regarding if you only had 1 choice of wooden plugs,which would it be?

Atom or Gibbs?

·
Registered
374 Posts
wooden plug = Hab's (if you can get a hold of some) :D

The Gibbs are decent, but the hooks are horrible. They break too easily. I usually replace mine before fishing them. I'd also have to say the quality of Gibbs has gone down too. I've ordered a few plugs that had dents and cracks in the wood. Some of the swimmers had bad action out of the box and took a while to tweak. With all that said, the Polaris Popper will always have it's place in my plug bag.

Does Atom still make a wooden plug? The ones I've seen are made of hard plastic and almost indestructable. The Atomizer is a great distance caster (IMO, almost as good as the Polaris) as well as the Striper Swiper.

If it's bluefish blitzing, I'd reach for the hard plastic Atom for durability. Hate to see the finish of a wooden plug demolished by a blue. If it's stripers blitzing, then throw everything in the plug box and enjoy.

Ultimately I'd have to stick with the goto Yo-Zuri. ;)

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have never used any of them. I did a lot of freshwater bass fishing and one of my favs was the Zara Spook and Pup. Excellent top waters. I am thinking aboiut changing the hooks and using them this fall.

I read the review and will be trying the out this fall.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts