Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should i go with the saltist 30 or the torium 30. i mainly am gonna use it for pier and surf fishing. The guys at bass pro said the saltist is better but i loved the feel of that torium. whats your guys imput

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
What should i go with the saltist 30 or the torium 30. i mainly am gonna use it for pier and surf fishing. The guys at bass pro said the saltist is better but i loved the feel of that torium. whats your guys imput
About anything will work hoestly, get what you want!! If you liked it, go with it! No sense in buying something that you're going to want to sell in a month or two.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I think the Saltist 30H is meant to be a casting reel, and the Torium 30 is not. The T30 is also a HUGE reel. Holds 425 yards of 25 lb test. You would want to get the Torium 16. I don't believe the Toriums have any sort of casting control either since they're meant to be a boat reel and not so much a surfcasting reel, but I'm not positive on that.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I've never casted either of them, but I know for a fact those toriums are tough. I know several people who use them with braid for jigging tuna, amberjack, etc., etc.. One guy I know has caught tuna better than 100 lbs on a 30 class torium with braid. As for how they cast, I couldn't tell ya.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think the Saltist 30H is meant to be a casting reel, and the Torium 30 is not. The T30 is also a HUGE reel. Holds 425 yards of 25 lb test. You would want to get the Torium 16. I don't believe the Toriums have any sort of casting control either since they're meant to be a boat reel and not so much a surfcasting reel, but I'm not positive on that.
when i made my post earlier i was thinkin the Torium 16 instead of the 30 lol:redface: my bad

·
Registered
450 Posts
Toriums have a cast control , but they are still a little wild , know a bunch of guys using them. They seem to like them allright. My 30hs have allready had to have the drags replaced in both of them. Still dont think they will out cast my slosh 30s. JMO. I`ll find out this weekend maybe?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i was just going to get a new reel but i ended up getting a new tica pole and the saltist 30h. i really like the setup. its my first conventional reel so im still getting used to casting it. but it feels alot better then a spinning reel

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I have Torium 14's and the salstist 20h, the Torium is my go to reel. I also have a saltist 30h but dont have the torium 16.It is even harder to blow up a Torium IMHO

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have a torium 20 man what a big reel but for its size i am veary impressed with its cast ability. Also a VEARY FAST reel wouldnt suggest it to a beginner like yourself. The combo you got is perfect for you hope you like it.

BTW once you get over the Torium 14 size the reels dont come with cintrifical breaks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.