Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all. It's been in the single digits and low teens up here in the mountains so I haven't even braved the waters for good winter trout fishing; even though my dry flies would set pretty on top of all the ice we've got floating in the rivers.
We did not get down to Chiks Beach like we had hoped over the weekend...toooo cold. According to what the forecasters are saying from up here, the temps should be up a bit on the coast. What's the word on the forecast from the locals down there? We would like to head out this weekend for VaBeach area with 10weights, Half-n-halfs and coffee in hand.

Would love to hook up with some of you while down there; maybe get y'all up here for some mountain stream fishing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
256 Posts
those guys who guess about the weather are calling for a lot of rain before the weekend gets here, but i expect if they are right, it should be a good couple of days after that. maybe a west wind though pushing the baitfish offshore. i skipped a bunch of classes at penn state fishing for the native brookies on the central pennsylvania mountain streams, any chance you think my cheapo 7 weight could hold up in the surf? funny thing, i never skipped my fly tying class.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sandcastin: You'll work yourself to death with a 7wt if you are throwing streamers and larger patterns; especially once they are wet and it's windy. I spent under $200 on a Scott 10wt with a lifetime warranty (which was good considering someone threw a can-drink from bow to stern during my backcast and clipped/broke the end on my first C'Bay trip with it). I've been more than pleased with it. I landed a 10+LBS stingray I caught while fly fishing in the surf last summer. A 10wt with Sinking line (or at least sinking tip) has worked for me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey FlyFlinger, i know how it is up here in the mountains, i've been trying to go out and get on a few trout, but it has been too cold. I did manage to get out one day about a week ago, and i caught my limit one was 17in. four were 14in. and one was 12in. not to bad for me, and all were rainbows. anyway good luck to ya!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cobiarunner: Got my release citation on a cobia last summer. My brother and his crew live in the Poqouson(sp) area and dock in Strawberry Banks. Been out with them a few times running for Rocks and sitting for Cobia. Kept one released the bigger of the two. Harpoon Larry's was very clad to see the 3 of us pull up with a chest full of Cobia. What a fight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts