Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a friendly note:

I caught a nice 20# striper over the weekend (eastern LI) on a plug at first light. My first decent fish without teeth in a while. I saw a lot of bait in the water as well. I also see that the temps are coming down. The sun is setting sooner each day. We've had a north wind up here the last few days. My friends tell me there's a big body of fish heading this way from R.I. It's only a matter of time! Get ready!!

On a pencil popper

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
That's a nice striper you got there addict! Fall run should start kicking off here in MD in about a month. Already there are reports from boats that stripers are starting to form into schools and starting their fall patterns. Hopefully the fishing gods are gonna bless us with a great fall run.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It won't be long folks. It'll happen when you're not looking so keep looking!

That sucker exploded on a surface popper worked hellaciously to raise him from the depths at first light. Amazing how a fish hitting a piece of wood can make a grown man turn into a giggling little boy. :D

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Nice catch, addict. I was just thinking the same thing. All of a sudden you can smell and feel autumn in the air.

You northern boys always get into the action before everyone else. Looks like it's time to check all the knots, lube the reels, and get ready for the fall run. :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
sand flea and all,

You guys get 'em earlier in the spring so I think it's fair. Well, maybe not...lol

This is my first yr of surfcasting and the fish was my first 20 on a popper so I just had to kill it and eat it. :D

This is what the fish looked like about 2 hours ago.

Striper Scampi w/linguine

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Addict going out tomorrow and I hope I'll be able to start with you I went up to Sherwood island this past weekend and schoolies were there but nothing big.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
So you got him on topwater? Man, there's nothing more exciting than catching a fish on a surface plug.

Were you casting blind or were there breaking fish?

P.S.: Where'd your first picture go?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
sand flea,

Had a little problem with the storage site I use, but I think they fixed their problems as I can see the pic again. :)

I agree that catching fish on a surface plug is truly a sight to behold. I think I'm definately hooked!

As far as blind casting or a boil, it was neither. My friend (very accomplished angler) was showing me the "ropes" of plugging for bass. It was sunday morning just west of Montauk about 5:30 am - just after first light. With about 2 hours of sleep in between tides and no shower for 2 days, we set up. He pointed out the water in front us telling me to focus my casts into a foamy area where waves were swirling around and breaking into each other. There were some big swells left over from Fabian, so I was watching the waves with one eye, the plug with the other eye. Well, I was watching this particular wave coming, and saw my pencil popper disappear. Just as I was saying, "Hey, where'd my plug go?", WHAM BAM SLAM!!!

Game was on! I saw him smack that popper like a runaway freight train. With my friend coaching me on how to proplerly fight and land the fish, I had the sucker on land within a few minutes. Man, it's a sight I'll not forget soon. I hope to catch bigger fish in my fishing career, but the first one on a surface plug is special.

cocoflea,

Keep yer eyes and ears peeled bruddah. It's going to happen real soon. Do you ever make it out to the North Folk area? When the fish start migrating south, I KNOW they'll be there. Orient Point, Greenport, etc.... Maybe we can meet up one day?

Take care folks! and sharpen them hooks! ;)

PS: Kajun - When I get a few minutes, I'll post the recipe. It's basically Shrimp Scampi w/Linguine but I just replaced the shrimp with the striper.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings addict!

Oh, Linguine!! I was wondering what all that stringy stuff was!

Seriously, great fish, and great way to nail him. I think you said the magic word to cocoflea (Montauk!) I've been trying to lure David down to North Jersey, but with fish like that practically in his backyard....

You should be able to duplicate conditions this weekend with the remnants of Henry coming up your way!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Greetings Jake,

The requests for the recipe was more overwhelming than people congratulating me for catching the fish! LOL Thanks for saying hello. :)

So here it is folks: (I also sent an email for the recipe forum)

8 oz. linguine
2 1# striper filets ~ about 2" thick
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced or more
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 onion, minced
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
salt and pepper

Cook the linguine. When done, take out of pot, run under cold water (same as shocking veggies) to stop the cooking process and let it sit straining.

In a large skillet (it should be bigger than your breakfast pan), heat olive oil under low/med heat. Add garlic, onion, and saute until soft. Don't burn the garlic.

Add stripers seasoned with salt and pepper and brown the outside but not more than that. Remove stripers and place them on a oiled or buttered broiling pan (I cover it with foil then oil/butter it). Take some of the sauce in the pan with the garlic and onions and drizzle it on top of the fish. Broil the fish for about 3 mins or until you first see the fish get lightly golden on top. DO NOT OVERCOOK!

In the meantime, add wine to skillet under med/high heat and bring to a simmer to burn off the alcohol. Add parsley & let simmer gently. Toss the pasta with sauce under med/high heat to reheat the pasta. Put the pasta on a family sized plate, top it off with stripers, add a little parsley for garnish and flavor.

Will feed about three avg humans. :D

The whole thing is about timing so get the steps right and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
addict

I might have to take a trip your way soon I'll be going to Montauk in Oct. sometime and I'll have some new gear to break in so I'll keep you posted I'm going out tonight my buddy had a good night on Monday.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Just a friendly reminder that Fall run means BIG fish so now is a good time to take inventory of your tackle for wear and tear.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cocoflea,

I didn't think I had a chance to get in the gallery. Thanks.
If you find yourself coming up here, please give me a shout. Nothing better than meeting fellow board members for a little fishing and good laughs.

I'm actually in the process of changing all my lines and terminal tackle for the fall run. Would hate for a trophy to break off. Good advice.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Last year a friend of mine found out the hard way he had a nice bass break off just as he was about to net is and just the night before he was laughing at me for changing my line that I but on only two months ago he thought it was overkill.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.