Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone...

I was hoping somebody could answer a simple gear question for me?

I'm headed down tomorrow night for a week vacation in Myrtle. I've never fished there before, and I'm not targeting anything specific, but I will probably fish the beach in the evening/morning or piers with my nephew (8 y/o). I live in MA and have a lot of gear for surf fishing for stripers.

Is it worth it to bring my 11' and 12' medium heavy surf rods, or should I stick with the lighter gear?

If there is potential to catch something I would need the heavier suft rods for, then I will fish for it... but obviously I won't be shark fishing because I've read it is illegal there.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hello Everyone...

...Is it worth it to bring my 11' and 12' medium heavy surf rods, or should I stick with the lighter gear?...
i always take at least one bigger rod with me and heave it way out there. along with a couple smaller rods and i just fish them right in the breakers with a double bottom rig or something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i always take at least one bigger rod with me and heave it way out there. along with a couple smaller rods and i just fish them right in the breakers with a double bottom rig or something.
Perfect, thank you for the info. I will toss one out there and hopefully hear the sound of the baitrunner zinging....!!!

THANKS!:fishing:

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Bring one long rod and put it in as much water as you can reach and maybe use a fireball rig or something, might find a nice blue.

The other smaller rods will easily land most anything else you'll hook into.

·
Registered
297 Posts
We've got southerly and easterly winds starting tomorrow, so the water should clear up by Tuesday even after the churning Bill has given it. Need info on piers?

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
Welcome to P&S, Masterbaiter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts