Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just wanted to share a couple of pics I took because it's something you don't see everyday. I took these on McFaddin Beach(Texas) back in September. It's approx. 10-15 miles West of the Louisiana border. It was the Wed. before hurricane Ike made landfall(late Friday). The surf was already very high from the pre effects of Ike. I had seen one a couple of weeks before in the same area and it was much larger. The first one scared me pretty good because I didn't notice it 'till I was coming in from casting. It was between me and the beach!They were both in the wade gut and the one in the pic swam a good ways out in the surf.
The pics are poor quality. The camera crapped out not long after.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Sharks Now Gators

Another reason that I'm glad that I gave up wade fishing and learned to fish with the long rod from dry sand.

A shark grabbed me by the leg and barely broke the skin before releasing me. I was either too tough or tasted bad. Anyhow, he let me go and I haven't been there since. C2

·
Registered
846 Posts
Damn I was looking to see some pics of gator trout not trout eaters nic pics

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Sam I'm with you, I was looking for some pics of some big-azz Specks from somewhere besides the ditch, oh well good story.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another reason that I'm glad that I gave up wade fishing and learned to fish with the long rod from dry sand.

A shark grabbed me by the leg and barely broke the skin before releasing me. I was either too tough or tasted bad. Anyhow, he let me go and I haven't been there since. C2

Probably not recommended , but I continued to surf cast after a 30 minute wait and see......The Bull Reds were biting! LOL!

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking it was going to be some trout too. I thought Alligators were strictly a freshwater species!!??? I know there are saltwater crocs, but I didn't think gators messed with the saltwater too much.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I just wanted to share a couple of pics I took because it's something you don't see everyday. I took these on McFaddin Beach(Texas) back in September. It's approx. 10-15 miles West of the Louisiana border. It was the Wed. before hurricane Ike made landfall(late Friday). The surf was already very high from the pre effects of Ike. I had seen one a couple of weeks before in the same area and it was much larger. The first one scared me pretty good because I didn't notice it 'till I was coming in from casting. It was between me and the beach!They were both in the wade gut and the one in the pic swam a good ways out in the surf.
The pics are poor quality. The camera crapped out not long after.

COOL!!!! I need me a new pair of boots!!!!!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking it was going to be some trout too. I thought Alligators were strictly a freshwater species!!??? I know there are saltwater crocs, but I didn't think gators messed with the saltwater too much.
There is a spot here between Miami and the upper Keys that is home to the American saltwater Crocodile. There are some small keys and reefs there that are infested with huge lobsters, but for some strange reason divers are reluctant to spend much time in the water there. :rolleyes:

I have driven through many times but never stopped.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
There is a spot here between Miami and the upper Keys that is home to the American saltwater Crocodile. There are some small keys and reefs there that are infested with huge lobsters, but for some strange reason divers are reluctant to spend much time in the water there. :rolleyes:

I have driven through many times but never stopped.
I saw a show a while back about the American Saltwater Crocodile. You never hear too much about them. I don't think there is a big population of them. Aren't they endangered? Probably a dumb question being I'm not up on my Croc science.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
These were Alligators. They live in the marshes around here and the marshes are brackish water. Some of the marshes aren't very far from the beach. It's just odd to actually see one in the surf. The saltwater makes them "crazy" if they stay in it to long. I've also heard it can blind them(saltwater). I guess I'll have to dig up a few wild hogs running the beach pics.. Lots of hogs/boars in the area as well.

Triple T, I was wading out with them. The first one I spotted 2 weeks prior was between me and the beach kinda just floating. Scared the heck out of me because it was the LAST thing I expected to see in the surf. I've seen BIG Alligator Gar in the surf but never an actual alligator in the surf. If you fresh or saltwater fish enough in this area of the world you will eventually run into a Gator and I've had my dealings with them in the past---very strange to see one in the surf!

·
Registered
568 Posts
About twenty years ago when they were building the Sawgrass area which is just south of Jax Beach they were getting gators in the surf.They first showed up when they were clear cutting the land next to the beach.Then when they finished all the golf courses they would stray across the fairway into the surf for a dip and little sun.
Two years ago we had a bear roaming the south end of Little Talbot Island which is a popular fishing spot.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts