Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to burst your bubble....but we are catching whiting and spot on the pier.

Instead of finger pointing and false accusations, why not come down here and put a line in the water or just hang out and watch for a while. I have 18 whiting in my cooler right now ready to be cleaned for a fish fry tonight.

I thought it would be nice post accurate updates on a site that seems to have dedicated fishermen, but it looks like there are some people here that dont like to hear that others are catching fish. doesn't bother me though, I'm catching fish. We stood on the pier all day Monday in the pouring rain and got whiting and spot. Yes there have been flounder caught along the pilings. As I stated accurately....most are small, but there have been keepers.

As far as who I am? I'm 50 yrs old, Grew up on the beach, learned to fish as a kid from some old timers in the surf and never stop learning. I have an 18 ft center console but I still prefer fishing the surf. I have worked at 3 different piers along the strand since 1980.

I dedicate my time to the "Take a kid fishing" program and am an active member of the Grand Strand Fishing Rodeo Committee.

One of the gentlemen that taught me to fish was named Woody Joye. Woody passed away last year at the age of 92. He spent his last years fishing at State Park Pier. Back in 1984, the fishing rodeo used to give prizes for the top 10 fish caught in each category. Woody showed me how to catch pompano and whiting. Pompano seems to be the only fish I can catch consistently. We managed to take all 10 places. The Sun News even did an article about us.

Last year I got the largest pompano of the year 5 1/2 lbs
There was an African Pompano weighed in but was later DQ-ed as an ineligible fish

The name SKINK comes from a character in Carl Hiaason novels

I have no reason to give a false report. I'm no better or worse than anyone else. I just like sharing fishing info.

Try getting out of your house for a few minutes and wet a line...it's fishing season and they're not waiting for you!

clear sky 65 degrees with the wind out of the SE
water temp 60 and holding
small whitecap but the ocean is clearing up

WHITING AND SPOT BEING CAUGHT OFF THE PLANKS TODAY

see y'all next tide

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I still think you are are giving false reports..I fished the piers for years and no way this time of year..I will stop down and see you...1and a half lb whiting all day..no way and I think yourdoing promo work...You can put water temps etc but leave the size out of it....Where do you think they got the saying about.."fish tales"

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a 1lb 7oz caught a week ago

His name is Conner Brock. He and his dad are regulars here
Darlene Dotson has the record for the largest so far this year. Her pic of the 1lb 8oz was taken off the pic board to be published hopefully in next months Fish'n and Hunt'n magazine

·
Registered
750 Posts
i just called cherry grove pier and he said they have been catching skate, dogfish, a few black drum, a few whiting about 6-8 in., no flounder, very few small spots. he said they caught some spots last week at the inlet, mentioned 53rd. anyway i just thought i would share with yall, this is just what i was told.
im guessing fish are scattered right now so id say you might get lucky at certain spots in a given time. i wish i was eating fresh fried whiting filets tonight. enjoy and dont forget the hushpuppies and the cold beverage of your choice. i guess i will have to settle for turkey legs tonight.

·
Registered
750 Posts
i just called cherry grove pier and he said they have been catching skate, dogfish, a few black drum, a few whiting about 8-9 in., no flounder, very few small spots. he said they caught some spots last week at the inlet, mentioned 53rd. anyway i just thought i would share with yall.
im guessing fish are scattered right now so id say you might get lucky at certain spots in a given time. i wish i was eating fresh fried whiting filets tonight. enjoy and dont forget the hushpuppies and the cold beverage of your choice. btw, the date on the photo is todays date 4-4-09 but you said it was caught a week ago. Danman aint gonna let that date stamp slide i bet.:beer:

sorry for the double post, delete button is evading me.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is a pic of "No Bait Steve" i don't know his last name
1lb 6oz whiting caught last weekend

I loaded it to my computer just a few minutes ago.

I reset the camera in the tackle shop to show the date. all future pictures will be digital dated for the satisfaction of the nonbelievers. excuse me for such a faux pas. (that's mistake for the couch potato fishermen)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Went to GC pier for a little today; wind was annoying but did see a few decent Whiting caught off the end along w/ dogfish and small croaker.Also saw a barely keeper flounder come out of the surf. Caught the first blue of the season(that I know of) out of the surf, which is a positive for things to come. In the Skink's defense, there have been days last week when I saw a dozen+ Whiting being filleted at the stations.....

-Ryan

·
Registered
750 Posts
i believe you. im just trying to help you cover all bases because you know us p and s guys are tough audience to please. here is another song i wrote and just sit back and watch the sharks come out and go for bloood on this one.
keep fishing and reporting, we be reading.

'just like an april rain'
they shut the casket and everyone goes home including me.
flowers sit on top of the hill right over the fresh turned red clay.
peace is right around the corner as the tears flow like an April rain.
shoulders give you comfort for a while just long enough to make sure you can stand the pain.
and tomorrow the sun will try to shine, brighten up this life just enough to make sure i don't loose my mind.

yesterday gives you time to reflect, looking back to make sure you dont forget.
about the times we did this, we did that. we made them smile, we made them frown.
thats life i guess sometimes up, sometimes down. you liked the country, and i liked the town.
its good to be a scholar but right now i thank God for the clown.

flowers sit on top of the hill right over the fresh turned red clay.
peace is right around the corner as the tears flow just like an April rain, just like an April rain.
copyright april 13, 2008 b.l.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats to circlehook on the first bluefish caught on the pier this year!

I wish i could have gotten a pic of it but I'm sure we'll see lots of circlehooks pics in the near future

way to start the season!!!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
flounder phil got one today on live mud minnow around the pilings.

whiting are hitting good right now on cut spot.

I will post pics in a few minutes

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just curious why the pier wouldn't post these pics on their website? I noticed that hardly any of the piers do, but it would be a nice feature to have. Just a thought. Thanks for the reports!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.