Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you like reading fairy tales and wasting your time and money on misleading information, at best, and closer to out and out lies, in my opinion, generated by an employee of the Garden City Pier, then follow the ramblings of the Skink.:--|, closer to Skunk. I mean no malice intended but it needed to be said. Wayne Hill

PS: The Garden City Pier is a fine establishment and I don't think they would be or are complicit.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you like reading fairy tales and wasting your time and money on misleading information, at best, and closer to out and out lies, in my opinion, generated by an employee of the Garden City Pier, then follow the ramblings of the Skink.:--|, closer to Skunk. I mean no malice intended but it needed to be said. Wayne Hill

PS: The Garden City Pier is a fine establishment and I don't think they would be or are complicit.
First I want to thank Skink for his/her reports. The weather/water/wind conditions is great information. From my recent visits to Garden City and the area, he/she is fairly accurate on what is biting - at least as accurate as most of the fisherman on this forum. And with Spring breakers in the area the bikini clad visitors are there.

As far as Skink being an employee of the pier - who the heck cares? I wish we had employees from all the Atlantic Coast Piers giving us regular updates on the conditions and catches at their location. It would be great if bait shops would give us regular reports of activity in their area, including which baits they sell that are working for which species. Photos of current catches would be great also.

In the perfect world piers and bait shops would be sponsors of our forum and they would post daily reports on their link.

Thanks Skink and keep posting the information.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Now why would you go and say something like that. Please keep the reports coming Skink! If nothing else, it's something to read. BTW, Kingfish, what are you basing your info on, have you had no luck yourself?

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Now why would you go and say something like that. Please keep the reports coming Skink! If nothing else, it's something to read. BTW, Kingfish, what are you basing your info on, have you had no luck yourself?
It's very misleading and when someone like myself lives 2.5 hours away from the beach, I plan out 3-5 days to stay in a hotel, plus the $16-18 for me and my dad to fish everyday. That's a lot of money to throw away due to someone lying about what they're catching. Surf temps can be found at wpde.com and you can make a few phone calls and know what's biting at every pier along the coast, as well as calling the baitshops.

·
Registered
97 Posts
So this guy is really lying?! Damn... I figured it was true, cause his weather accounts were accurate, and it just seems kinda silly to lie about whiting being caught...lol now if he was talking about kings being caught off the end this time of year, then I'd just laugh.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I happen to have been in Garden City this past Wednesday through Sunday. While I appreciate Steve's effort in posting reports, I did not witness the same thing. Thursday I made several trips to the pier. Mid-morning 2 people were fishing the end in the rain. Mid-afternoon and early evening no one was fishing. Friday evening a few people were fishing but had empty buckets. Saturday evening I saw a boy catch a small whiting that I would have thrown back. I looked in his cooler and he had a few more that same size. I did not go to the pier on Sunday so I can not attest to the conditions or what was caught. Having spoken with a few locals that frequent the pier, they agree with the above report.

The Pier at Garden City, is one of my favorite piers to fish. The regulars are friendly as long as you practice proper pier etiquette. Having said the above, it in no way will affect my fishing in the future. I will still go; I just know where to get my information!

Britt

·
Registered
246 Posts
I sent him a pm to ask if he worked at the pier or was an owner??? No answer at all,my mom has a place at garden city and thought i would get the hot off the pier report and know when I needed to make a quick run down...It will be very interesting to see him respond to all our questions.... And yes I will still fish at the pier when I;m down.....

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
the only accurate report u can get from a pier is at MB state park. those ppl are neither interested in keeping fisherman away or attracting fisherman. tackle shops can be trusted if u are a regular that would stop by regardless whether ur cooler is full or empty.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
1. Because the kingfish is right, he is always right.
2. 50+ fishing experience

If kingfish told me the fish were biting, I would skip the grocery store for the week, because the freezer would be full.

Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Well, I have enjoyed reading the reports from the Skink here in the past few days.

I also respect the heck out of kingfish, based on his posts here on this board. I've gained a lot of information just reading what he puts on here.

I hate to think someone would be posting false reports on a forum like this.

Honestly, I don't know what to think about it.

I do know that the DNR reports sometimes don't jive with what I've seen or what friends of mine down there say are happening, but I never even gave a thought to what we see on this board.

As for the bait shops, Perry's and the folks at Platt's usually tell me the truth, or that has been my experience. Those are the only two I frequent when I'm down there, unless I'm out Socastee way.

My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I happen to have been in Garden City this past Wednesday through Sunday. While I appreciate Steve's effort in posting reports, I did not witness the same thing. Thursday I made several trips to the pier. Mid-morning 2 people were fishing the end in the rain. Mid-afternoon and early evening no one was fishing. Friday evening a few people were fishing but had empty buckets. Saturday evening I saw a boy catch a small whiting that I would have thrown back. I looked in his cooler and he had a few more that same size. I did not go to the pier on Sunday so I can not attest to the conditions or what was caught. Having spoken with a few locals that frequent the pier, they agree with the above report.

The Pier at Garden City, is one of my favorite piers to fish. The regulars are friendly as long as you practice proper pier etiquette. Having said the above, it in no way will affect my fishing in the future. I will still go; I just know where to get my information!

Britt
And if Britt ain't catching fish, no one is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I can not say for certain if Skink is telling the truth or not. But, I do have to admit that it is somewhat odd that he has not posted to defend his reports. Although I do not know "Britt" I will say she typically backs up her posts regarding Garden City Pier with photos. I have yet to see a photo from the Skink. I am not trying to cast doubt but I am just saying.

·
Registered
97 Posts
1. Because the kingfish is right, he is always right.
2. 50+ fishing experience

If kingfish told me the fish were biting, I would skip the grocery store for the week, because the freezer would be full.

Just my $.02
I didn't mean to dis kingfish, I had no intention of doing anything like that. I guess I haven't been on the board long enough to figure everyone out.

Tight lines everyone!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I hope skink isnt posting misleading information about fishing reports. What would be the motives for that. People on this forum honestly want to know whats biting and I hope he wouldn't lie to people like that.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I hope skink isnt posting misleading information about fishing reports. What would be the motives for that. People on this forum honestly want to know whats biting and I hope he wouldn't lie to people like that.
I have not been to the pier to see, but both the boats I fish off of are a mere 1/2 mile from the pier, and I am always there at the dock. I have seen discrepancies in weather reports, and pound and a half whiting in March is unheard of. On a further note, about 91.53% of what I know about saltwater fishing was taught to me by kingfish himself, he tells me fish are biting dog chit, you will see me running behind my dog with a rod in one hand and a bag in the other. As far as motives, the only reason I would think someone would post false reports is if they worked for or knew someone who worked/owned the pier, and were trying to get someone out there to fish at around 8 bucks a pop and what seems like a sawbuck a piece for a beer.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.