Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone like the Gami Octopus J Hooks? I know we had a big thread on the Gami Octopus Circles, but I was thinking about going with the J hooks. Probably in 6/0-7/0 (we don't have big drum down here like y'all get).

Do they come unbuttoned with the Gami J hooks like they do with the Gami Circles?

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
A couple years ago I had a tarpon straighten out one of those hooks on the first jump, 8/0 or 9/0 size i believe. That was the night i gave up on those hooks....

I've used 4/0 triple strength tuna hooks on a pier yrs ago,and watched them get straightened as well... If a hook or any weak link can be exposed a tarpon will do it,promise.....

Been using that hook for the past 8 maybe even 10yrs for drum and cobia... I've yet to have one straightened..... It can happen with any hook,if the hook doesn't penetrate fully.. As far as fish pulling off, it happens with any hook,but the gami circle is notorious for it... jmo....

As far as being a good hook for drum.. It is,jmho...

·
Registered
124 Posts
drumdum -- i'm with you. any hook can straighten if it not fully penetrated in the fish's jaw.

i trust the gami octopus j-hooks for most of my fishing from eel fishing for rockfish to boon dogging for king salmon up north. for the serious pullage i'll go with the owner mutu's or gorillas.

i've actually had good luck with the in-line gami circles for cut bait fishing -- i always keep a file handy, because they totally lose there edge after dragging them thru the sand a dozen times.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
drumdum -- i'm with you. any hook can straighten if it not fully penetrated in the fish's jaw.

i trust the gami octopus j-hooks for most of my fishing from eel fishing for rockfish to boon dogging for king salmon up north. for the serious pullage i'll go with the owner mutu's or gorillas.

i've actually had good luck with the in-line gami circles for cut bait fishing -- i always keep a file handy, because they totally lose there edge after dragging them thru the sand a dozen times.
Yeap,I've used the gami inline circle as well,and it works fine.. It's the offset octopus circle that can give you an early release..... I've caught some nice fish on the gami j 10/0 with no problems as of yet,so no reason to stop now.. Chit,I'm too ole for change anywho.... :D

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I've used 4/0 triple strength tuna hooks on a pier yrs ago,and watched them get straightened as well... If a hook or any weak link can be exposed a tarpon will do it,promise.....

Been using that hook for the past 8 maybe even 10yrs for drum and cobia... I've yet to have one straightened..... It can happen with any hook,if the hook doesn't penetrate fully.. As far as fish pulling off, it happens with any hook,but the gami circle is notorious for it... jmo....

As far as being a good hook for drum.. It is,jmho...
yeah, i'm sure it was just a weird hookset or somethin of that nature. i needed somethin to blame it on though;).

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I switched to the Gammi J's and love um for Drum but I still go with the Circles for Stripers.

·
3,775 Posts
I've Been Dilly Dallying with

I've been using the Eagle Claw Tournament Circle this year with pretty good success. They are inline circles. (Disclaimer; I know everyone can go on here and find endless info where as I don't use circle hooks, however, I started using them in the boat this year when tying the lupton rig but I gut hooked three fish; and that rigs is somewhat the law now at night in the pamlico).
But I still use J hooks in the surf. I've still yet to gut hook one there.

The almighty VMC 9/0. I also started experimenting with the plain bronze ones for drum to try them out as well as they can rust out quick just in case.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
I've been using the Eagle Claw Tournament Circle this year with pretty good success. They are inline circles. (Disclaimer; I know everyone can go on here and find endless info where as I don't use circle hooks, however, I started using them in the boat this year when tying the lupton rig but I gut hooked three fish; and that rigs is somewhat the law now at night in the pamlico).
But I still use J hooks in the surf. I've still yet to gut hook one there.

The almighty VMC 9/0. I also started experimenting with the plain bronze ones for drum to try them out as well as they can rust out quick just in case.

Yeap "the almighty vmc" is a great hook,be it j or circle.... Those eagle claws are some good hooks as well...
Agreed,if I was fishing over on that side of the sound where there is no current I'd use a circle also,and it would be the mustad,eagleclaw, or the vmc... All great hooks for striper as well.... All jmo...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.