Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it unlawful to gaff Stripers in N.C. ?
Va. it is illeagal...

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
If not, it should be! Personally, get 'em close enough and hand grab by lower lip, and if not keeping remove hook with fish in water. Just my 2 pennies worth.

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Shaggy,
I'm also against it .
Half the sport of fishing is landing the fish on your own tackle.
The reason I bring this up is that the Oregon Inlet fishing report
site
shows a bunch of folks with their striper catches and some of these fish have gaping side wounds. Now if they were caught off
Va, waters that would be illegal.
I don't know the gaffing law down in N.C.
I would assume it's legal, if not they posted the evidence.:mad:

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
I know for a fact it IS ILLEGAL to gaff a drummie,don't know about stripers.. When I catch one he's netted or picked up by the lower jaw as was said earlier.. I do use a gaff though,when I catch and release.. I take a six inch long T handled gaff,pull the fish along side and put the shank of the gaff against the shaft of my hook on the jig I'm using,great "dehooker" :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
what is the...

difference if you are putting him/her in the box! yeah, i agree if you are releasing the fish-dont gaff it. If you are eating it-who cares!

·
Registered
285 Posts
roam: The way I see it is what's the point in gaffing a striper? IMHO there's no reason I can think of to gaf one. They don't have teeth, the bigger ones aren't hard to handle in the boat, They aren't hard to lip once you've gotten them to the boat. I can see gaffing a king or some other fish (as long as it is going to be kept) that has teeth and you take a chance on losing fingers and other appendages but a striper? Like I said, I just don't see the point in gaffing stripers and it also may be illegal. just my .02

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
31 Posts
again...what the H#$$ is the difference if i gaff a fish i am going to eat...cobia dont have teeth either. go ahead and lip one of dem rascals:)

to me its some sort of striper elitist crap or something "dont gaff a bass they are too prescious" i am the FIRST guy to let a fish go...but aint nothin wrong with puttin a legal limit in the box!

·
Registered
285 Posts
cobia and stripers and two different species. lip a cobia and you'll probably get your arm ripped off, haven't heard of anyone losing an arm with a striper ;)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I feel as long as it's legal then there's no problem gaffing one as long as they plan on keeping it. I personally would never gaff one myself especially since I have never caught one big enough to gaff. I'm assuming that the ones that you are seeing gaffed are out of NC on the charter boats. The charters usually only care about puting meat in the box and don't practice C&R unless told by the customer or have already obtained their limit. I believe that it is legal in NC but not legal in MD and VA. If it wasn't legal, then that is another story.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Roam,
there is no "save the Stripers" mentality here, it more has to do with the facts of the law, and if those clowns running charters might be breaking the law. The reason there are gaffing laws is so that you either bring the fish in on your own or you don't catch it at all, also it prevents people who don't know how to gaff from needlessly killing fish. If they can't bring it in, they just wasted a fish. Then they go for their limit and take two more.
And the reason we are enjoying these recent great Striper
seasons is because they put laws in place to protect the fish.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
490 Posts
I see no reason to GAFF any fish, If you can't get them in the boat or drag them ashore with out the gaff you shouldn't have hooked them in the first place!!!:jawdrop:

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
I hate to say,but a little "offense" is taken by calling them clowns.. I know several of those "clowns",and if there are better fishermen,I don't know them. Furthermore,the "clowns" I know stay tight to the law! Also several of them,I have known since the mid 70's when we use to catch drummies together on the planks. You could keep one even two back then but what did they do? Released the fish.. ;) Also a charter boat sits pretty high from the stern,I think you would have to hang by your feet to lip one.. :D
PS Wasn't going to butt in until you called them clowns.. I think if you talked to one of them you'd find them very knowlegable about the fishery.. ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hypothetical Question

Suppose you are fishing from a pier with no pier net only a pier gaff and you have a nice big schoolie whooped on his side....What then break him off trying to pull him/her up? I think I need to invest in a new pier net now that I'm thinking about it.

NOT stiring the sh, just wondering what most people would do.

Mitch

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I guess I shouldn't call all of them clowns........my own family worked on fishing boats.
It has nothing to do their knowlege of fishery, it's if they are abiding by the law.....and my point is that nobody has answered my question yet, is it illegal to gaff Stripers in N.C....that's what I wanted to know. Let's not offend anyone.
:( That wouldn't be P.C.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Re: Hypothetical Question

mitchmtm1 said:
Suppose you are fishing from a pier with no pier net only a pier gaff and you have a nice big schoolie whooped on his side....What then break him off trying to pull him/her up? I think I need to invest in a new pier net now that I'm thinking about it.

NOT stiring the sh, just wondering what most people would do.

Mitch
Mitch,back in the day,we never used a net on a king or a cobe.. It simply took too long! We could have one gaffed and on the deck in half the time,in most cases.. I've seen days when there were over 40 kings gaffed on the deck!! Not the first one netted. Never saw a cobe lost that way either we would put one in it,if it was a biggun we would put more,as many as 3 were put into one cobe I caught in 78!Still got my old stainless 4prong gaff. Oh,to have those days back again.. :( If it is legal,and we are catching stripers,with no net,gaff it is,as long as the fish is waaaaaaaaaaaay beyond the size limit,say 35 incher at least,you should be able to see that even from 20ft in the air.. Other than that,without a net,ya just pop them off,we've done that with drummies,when there is no net,it breaks right were your shock ties to swivel... In most cases where they are under 28in anyway,I could handline them,if there is no net,in that way,there is no swivel or hook for them to have to contend with.. ;) Course with this new "popup net",I should be able to cart that thing out with my buggy,so they'll always be a net out there... :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just got off the phone with a NC Marine Enforcement Officer out of Morehead City. It is NOT currently illegal to gaff a striper.

In fact the only regs that are remotely applicable are that it is illegal to gig a red drum and it is illegal to use a gaff, boat hook, spear, gig to remove a drum from any commercial net, e.g., a pound net. Section .0501 (b) of the Little Red Book.

If there is interest in making it illegal, I can float it by the next meeting of the Inland Advisory Committee of the Marine Fisheries Commission. I suspect there would be opposition from the charter fleet however. I would like to get some direction on the possession issue for beach fishermen who stay on the beach or fish past midnight and are technically allowed more than one day’s limits of stripers.

Bernie McCants dba as Boomer over here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i still dont understand?? what the [email protected]#$ does it matter if you are eating the fish????

again release is a different ballgame???

makes no sense to me that anyone would even care how i got the bass in the boat if i am going to eat it!!??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts