1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i don't like the barbs on the hooks, can't shake it out if you get a bad stick

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I've never used it, but it looks to me like you'll have a harder time degaffing the fish then dehooking it.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
If you need a pier/bridge gaff then I would suggest going to a fishing shop and buying a fixed-hook, no-barb one for about $40.

How does that gaff work? It looks like you're more likely to catch yourself than the fish.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kinda what i was thinking too. just wanted to make sure i was correct in my theory. cheap isnt always good.....:D :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
looks like somethin from a horror movie or somethin. I aint never seen nothin like that before but if you want a gaff you can get them for like 40 bucks like what was previously mentioned. I think my gaff (just the gaff) was 30 and the rope wont that expensive. And if you take care of it it'll last forever just so long as your rope dont break bringin up that 200 lbs cobe or somethin:jawdrop: :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
Why would anyone even think of using anything that looks like that thing. What ever happened to the net ,to humane??? there is no reason to ever gaft a fish,if the only way you can land it you don't belong out there!!!:jawdrop:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
OK oldsalt, when was the last time you tried to bring a shark up with a dropnet? You can't. :rolleyes:

And why is it inhumane to gaff a fish that you are going to cut up and eat anyway? I'm all for conserving fish populations, but your position seems just a tad radical. It's fine to net a flounder or a drum. I would suggest usuing a net in those cases. But for a shark, a 25# king or a 50+ # cobia a net is likely to either scare the fish into a pylon run or bust on the trip up. Beaching the fish is possible, but you have to get the bottom rigs out of the water and that tends to make people mad.

I am all for preventing animal abuse but if you are going to say no gaffs then why not just join EPA or PETA and push for a world-wide ban on fishing. Any person who enjoys the sport of fishing can identify with my feelings towards those radicals.:rolleyes: :mad: :barf:

anyway, just my 2¢

Evan

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GOTCHA6/0,

if'n i catch that ol'200 pound cobia yallz be the first ta know gauranteed.......:D :p :D :p

iz mite like spelin whenz i lernz how.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
old salt,
you're entitled to your opinion sir but whats the difference on a fish your going to eat if you gaff it or net it to bring it up . either way when it hits the boards anyone with any knowledge is going to bleed it out to save flavor of meat.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
But a couple more saw bucks towards that 5 and getcha self somthin nice and reliable . That thingy looks scary .:p :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
Your chance of catching a shark or cobe 200+ from peir or bridge is zip or dreaming,no need to gaft that big you can walk it ashore.Offshore there are times it comes in handy,otherwise should be outlawed.:D :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
oldsalt, some places you cannot beach a fish ie Sea Gull pier. You would have to climb a fence(illegal) an scale down rocks(dangerous) to get to th water to grab a angry 50# cobia by th gills (stupid). :D

But seriously sometimes a net will scare th fish an risk loosing it. Those times a gaff is better. Although sometimes people with gaffs can go overboard an gaff anything in th water. Saw a small cobia get gaffed one day an thought they made a mistake but it was legal by 2 in. Used with intelligence a gaff is a necassary piece of equipment on th piers.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
mapcaster,
I've seen those things before. They are very dangerous but the grab your fish and steak him in one fluid movement:D .

oldsalt,
It is not so rare to catch a 200# shark off the pier. Cobia, maybe not. But I did see a guy haul a 150# blue shark in at CG pier in SC near the peak tourist season. If they had tried to beach that joker he would have come up pissed and slashing in the middle of 25-30 swimmers and twice that many sunbathers. Which would do wonders for the North Myrtle Beach tourist industry and would get some of those mor..."tourons" off the pier:D. As it was, the king fishermen had to clear the end of the pier, put two gaffs in the shark, and it took two of them to haul it up and another two to kill it. The guy later took it home and brought back shark steaks the next day. Tasted okay, but needed some hot sauce.:D

Now I ask you which was safer and more humane: shark among swimmers or gaffs among shark?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thought fishing and/or landing sharks in Horry County was agains county ordinance? Think it's 15-02 ."It Shall be unlawful for any person to Bait, Fish for, or Attract a Shark to with-in one half mile of the Beach." It's been a while since i've been in the Myrtle beach area so it could have changed but when I fished the cherry grove pier I was told if you hook a shark the line had to be cut?

As for the gaff, it looks like the hooks are on some kind of hinge and slip over the fish then when you up it up to gaff the fish the hooks swing closed making it hard for the fish to make an escape. Personally it looks like it would be a pain in the @ss to use. The fixed hook gaffs barbless gaffs are the way to go.

As for gaffing sharks, the big ones(over 100lbs) yes. The smaller ones we usually handline up unhook and release or I use my pier net to bring 'em up. I've had a 70lb shark in it both braught up and released with the net without any problem.

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
It is illegal to fish for sharks, but since CG is a private pier and the management doesn't care some people go ahead and bring them in. Nobody sets up and floats out shark baits(ie bloody heads) but some do hit on the king rigs.

Also when someone hauls in a shark it makes more people come out hoping to see another one and that brings more money to the pier.

Personally I'd want a gaff into any king or cobia I brought in unless I wasn't going to eat it(not often). Even a mostly-beat adult cobia can break bones with it's tail and kings can slash with their teeth almost like sharks. The gaff makes the fish bleed a little and drains enough of their strength that they are safe to handle.

For the occasional doffish or tope that I hook into at night I use a dropnet because I would release the shark. But a king or cobia fighting around in a net is likely to slip out. Their weight dropped suddenly can cause the hooks to tear out and you lose a fish. No, I'm definitely going to say that a gaff is the way to go unless you plan to release your catch.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I really dislike the gaffs used on piers and have even gone so far as to discontinue them in my shop. I think they're unnecessary and are less effective than a pier net. If you can't bring in a fish in a net, you don't need to be bringing it in period. Why would anyone want to kill and eat a shark too big to place in a net anyways?

Maybe it's different up there, but the people I see down here using pier gaffs are usually the yahoos from the country who have no idea what they're doing and gaff anything that swims. On top of it, I'm the only person down here who puts out a king rig on a regular basis anyways and I don't plan on owning a gaff anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
way to go guys we don't want any fish to be released. lets all buy gaffs.
And why is it inhumane to gaff a fish that you are going to cut up and eat anyway?
somehow these don't seem to mesh to me. people are talking about gaffing fish they plan on eating, and all of a sudden you say that people don't plan on releasing any fish? i think you are being a bit radical here. there is no problem gaffin a fish you are going to eat, but if you are planning to release it, a net is the tool to use.

its crazy how a simple question turned into a p!$$ing contest.

ohh, and emanuel i agree that gaffs aren't always the tool to use, but I would hate to carry the net that will reliably land a 30+lb king. they had one on the jolly roger pier at topsail beach, and that thing was a beast. In the right hands, a gaff is a useful tool. however, as you state, only people who know what they are doing should use them. i am in no way advocating gaffing anything that swims. the only thing i would gaff woul dbe a king or cobia. flounder, drum, everything else goes in the net.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts