Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was just wanting to get some feed back on gaffing and releasing fish (large skate, cownoserays, carpetrays ect.) i have in the past gaffed them in the nose/front of there face unhooked then and released them. just this past weekend i caught a ray in the 60# range and gaffed it to remove my hook, and caught some flack from my fishing partener. Am i better off just cutting my leader or should i retreave the hook ( circle hook that is)? dont want to be cofused with a butcher that cuts the guts out of a fish and then seds it on its merry way. ???? :confused:

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Well,here I am again speaking up for rays and skates.......I m the Johnie Cochran to the rays and skate defense."If the gaff does not fit,the leader you must snip"

OK lemme see,if I was a 60 lbs ray,minding my own business,and see a nice peice of bunker for my taking,and wind up with a hook in my mouth,and then having to worry about beeing gaffed?
EEEEKKKK!!!!!!Please be kind and just cut the leader as close to the hook before I bleed to death!

So,me personally,I would just cut the leader and re-rig another hook.You might save yourself a nasty tail whip,and the ray can swim away to live another day.
OK my fee is a 5 lbs flounder.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Bigblock,

I always cut the hook and teach my sons the same. I enjoy rigging my own tackle (bottom rigs from 50# line, drum rigs, etc)especially when I have some free time and can't hit the surf. Less expensive for me! 60# Ray would be good practice to test my rigs!
:D

Macman

·
Registered
374 Posts
"If the gaff does not fit,the leader you must snip"

lol

If you can reach out and touch the ray with your hand, use a natural gaff. Form a hook shape with your fingers and stick them in the holes on top of its head and drag him in. No harm done, and no leader snipping. :D

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Gaff for rays? That's the fun part - taking the hook out of their tough mouth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts