Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I camped in Rodanthe Nov. 8 - 11. Generally great weather and winds, although rather cold at night (I wish I'd brought my cold weather sleeping bag instead of my 45-degree model!).

Saturday was a great trout day (so I heard). I fished the beach on the way in after dark and it was dead slow at first. Just before low tide, the trout turned on and bit pretty steady till I left well into the rise, starving and in need of a campsite, around 11 pm. Wound up with 8 trout from 16"-24" with most in the 18"-20" range. The 24-incher was pushing (but not quite) 5 pounds. Nightstalker mirrolure.

Started late Sunday and got a big breakfast, then putzed around, cleaned fish, cooked fish, and hit the beach again after dark. Despite seemingly better conditions, bite was slow (although guys up the beach did well). I landed a smallish (16") trout and a small keeper pup in a brief flurry of activity.

Monday afternoon, found a nice bite south of the point - lots of small stuff on shrimp (10" black drum, small spots, very small blues) and some nice flounder. I had scattered throwbacks on a gulp swimming mullet, but started hitting some nice fish on strips of cut fish. Ended up with three 16-17" keepers. Fished HARD that night, again in great conditions, with one lousy hit to show. Tons of people out plugging the beach; didn't see anyone with more than one fish.

Early Tuesday morning the wind had picked up moderate NE. Lighthouse beach was tough fishing, so mid-morning went further south, to Ramp 55/Hatteras which was very nice with the wind at my back. Some great structure along this beach. I fished grubs and quickly landed a nice 3#, 18" flounder and then a few throwbacks before low tide. The rise was really slow. Hit the beach again, after dark, on the way back to Raleigh. Highish tide with the headwind made plugging a little tough, but conditions improved as the tide fell. After an hour or so of nothing, the big trout started hitting. I landed five and missed only one (which should tell you that they were hitting pretty aggressively). Four of the five were over 20" with two over 4#. Nice action for about 30-45 minutes, then it stopped and I hit the road before finding out if and when it picked up again.

In case you were wondering what they were eating...

...looks like a small (~5") gray. Kinda resembles a mirrolure, eh? :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys...yeah, it was definitely a good trip. Good bites almost every day...can't complain with that!

p.s., look for a good run of stripers (and trout) at the OBX after this cold front passes

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Great work. Congrats on the haul.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts