Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the southern coast of NC today with high hopes of catching my 1st drum. I could see the what appeared to be a full moon behind the cloud cover with winds blowing NE. So by now I feeling pretty lucky . Fished incoming and outgoing tide and caught 1 small sand shark. The surf was very rough and the winds were strong .10 n bait wouldnt hold bottom .
I was under the impression that NE wind + full Moon =FISH.
As I was headed home a fellow asked me if I had any luck. I told him of my catch. He then replied,yeah this NE wind has really messed us up ,the fishing will get better when the wind changes around.
So gents I'm pretty well confused now . Need some schoolin!!!

FISH (Finally In Saltwater Heaven)

·
Registered
107 Posts
From everything im told a Northeast wind is the best to fish in because it blows the upper layer of the gulf stream into the coast. Or thats what im told. Only thing i can figure about the moon is that it has something to do with the tides or something.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Drum are surf feeders and do like it when the N/E wind stirs-up the surf because it blows the bait on the beach. If you weren't holding bottom with 10&bait it may have been too windy and rough. Where were you fishing?? I'm not familiar with anything much south of Cape Point, but the Point usually fishes best with a S/W wind that tends to blow the bait to the Point from the south and the areas north of there up to Oregon Inlet do better with the N/E wind for the reason stated above. The full moon usually helps night fishing for the simple fact that it lights-up the water, but in the summer I try to use crab for bait around the full moon because that's when they go from peelers to soft shells for a short while, which is a drums buffet. It could be like Drumdum said just "bad juju" and that is why it's called fishing and not catching.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks .
I was down at Fort Fisher (kure beach).
I'll go with a day of bad juju over work hands down.

FISH (Finally In Saltwater Heaven)

·
Registered
300 Posts
One time a few years ago I was looking at a chart that showed the conditions and bait that a big list of world record fish were caught in/on. I noticed that a large portion of the world record fish (all different species) were caught very near the full moon. I thought that was interesting and wanted to share it with you.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I was surprised at the NE theory. My experience is that a SW wind is far and away more likely to produce fish. NE winds just erode the coast. I mainly fish Morehead City and south.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts