Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that I drive a few people crazy when I say that they need to learn the OTG cast first before trying pendulum and some people feel that they can just go straight to it , so I though I would put these two videos up to show that the fundamentals of foot/weight transfer and arm position are the same.

Firts we have the OTG cast from various angles showing the step forward and projection of the left arm upwards and out before pulling in with the left on an extended right arm.

In the second video I do the Flat arc pendulum with focus on exactly the same basics.

Once you have a good OTG moving to pendulum is easier :D

Happy to answer any questions

Regards

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,330 Posts
Guys, Jeremy is right. I have been saying/teaching for years that the OTG (groundncast) is THE fundamental cast. Learn it and all others will come much easier. The finish/hit is the same.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Right on. I read somewhere that if you hear that big “woooosh” from your rod at the end of the cast, you’ve slowed down too early in the punch-pull and that sound is the rod tip violently unloading/straightening with no resistance (the lead is already away). I notice some of my casts are very loud, others more quiet. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really have struggled with any success on this transition. I'm relatively new to a casting setup but have an Akios 666 SCM W paired with an 11' TICA (I am working toward an upgrade to a 13' that has real load, maybe a RainShadow or a CPS from Tommy Farmer, but its been good to learn on). I'm getting consistent 125 yds with 6 oz on that rod. And I decided there was no reason not to see how well I can turn on my 12' TICA even though its spinning. Getting 8oz about 110-115 yds with that and only gotten out with it twice (its rated 6-10 so I figure 8 oz is the "sweet spot" even though its stiff as a broomstick). All of this using OTG -- I've even gotten to the point where the magnetic brakes are just a couple of clicks off of wide open without backlash...unless I'm late to thumb the end of the cast that is. I'm lucky to have a field within walking distance that I can get out to frequently and am more and more confident the more I throw.

BUT I cannot figure out the Pendulum to save my life!? I've looked at videos on youtube and am strongly considering buying Tommy's $40 DVD guide. I think its probably the timing of the weight getting behind me as I start my motion? But I would gladly take any guidance from you guys!

Also, I've been starting with my feet basically in line with the target and my hips and torso turned completely backward thinking it will help promote torque. I still start with a step toward the target with my left foot and I've gotten pretty good, I think, at keeping my arms out, lead hand moving high on the turn, and then pulling it down to my chest/belly at the end of the cast...but should I be setting up with my entire body facing away and begin with that step backward to get my body twisting?

Long message, sorry - just trying to improve and felt like this post was as good a place as any to ask a few questions!

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,330 Posts
LF,

Either buy the Comprehensive Guide to Power Casting DVD or come see me (or another qualified instructor). The pendulum cast takes time and practice. It helps to cut through that learning curve if you have proper instruction. I had a student this morning that went from 349' to 505' throwing 8oz using a groundcast.

Now I see you are talking 8 oz. For well over a decade I was at the very top of casting in the USA and very proficient with the pendulum cast, both flat and high swing style. A full blown pendulum cast with 8 oz is a challenge. You MUST focus on going slow and letting the sinker get into position before hitting it.... I'd work with 4-5 oz to learn the pendulum. BE CAREFUL, a full pendulum cast on a crowded beach will not earn you many friends. It can be dangerous until (and even after) mastered.

My personal preference casting 8 oz is the hatteras cast. Much safer and easier to execute.

I would focus on learning the fundamentals of casting first. Footwork, Body, Arms, Acceleration and 45 degrees. This is all covered in detail in the DVD. There is much distance to be gained before you need the pendulum cast. A well executed full tournament style groundcast will actually outperform a "pretty good" pendulum cast.

The 11' TICA is not a great rod to pendulum cast. Longer, stiffer rods tend to work better and will give you more time (bigger arc) to refine the technique. Also the rating on a rod gets skewed somewhat with a pendulum. Because of the force exerted on the rod, IMHO the rating is actually LOWER when throwing a pendulum cast. In other words a rod rated 6-10 (fishing) would NOT be good for 8 or 10 with a pendulum. More like 4-6 oz. The pendulum cast puts a lot of stress on a rod.

Hope this helps,

Tommy

·
Registered
8 Posts
From what I understood so far there are two kinds of OTG casts:

1. Overhead OTG cast (also known as Easy cast or Brighton cast)

2. Side OTG cast (this one is mostly reffered as full or real OTG cast)

That's what I know.... :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts