Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Previously I had read several posts mentioning the frog tongue weights. Didn't know what they were , but recently went into Green Top for some casting weights, and I saw what I assume to be these frog tongue weights. Looks like they (green top) had done away with the pyramid type weights in favor of the new design. How are these weights (casting distance, Retrieval, ability to hold,etc.)

Curious, any responses appreciated

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saw some of the guys on Sandbridge pier tossing them. The seem to fly good and with the design seems as though they would hold in sand better than pyramid, but not at that price. Do-it pyramids molds only $35.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
they cost 80 cents each i believe for the 8 oz.they hold better than any sinker out there IMO
the 6 oz holds as good as a 8 oz pyramid

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I like using them when even a cinder block won't hold. In big sea with a heavy sweep they seem to do a controled slide instead of rolling . . . your bait stays in the good water as long as you can keep it right in front of you.

Demands alot of walking but in those conditions (like last weekend) it makes unfishable water fishable (if you have the room).

I had no idea the molds were so much though . . . is it coming from England? I priced out some wired beach bomb molds (sputniks) and was taken aback with the price and shipping.

·
Registered
179 Posts
They look like a decent design, but i have had great luck with the river sinker design ( looks like a donut ). I first started using them in the heavy duty current in the cut-throughs in james river around dutch gap fishin for big catfish , and they work great for me in the surf too..the current flows over them instead of pushing them along. I bought molds for them from 2 to 10 oz and have bags of them i poured.Made some of the storm sinkers from molds i have and they work good too. :D

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Hatteras loner said:
I have been using these on OBXfor probably 10yrs.+or _? cast good fish with nothing else unless it is a Hatteras sinker. :p
First time I saw them was in F&F's yrs ago. I use the 10 when it is really bad,would use 12 if I could find them. Most times I use 4sided pyramids,in normal conditions, cause they seem to cast a little better..

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sgt_Slough said:
I like using them when even a cinder block won't hold. In big sea with a heavy sweep they seem to do a controled slide instead of rolling . . . your bait stays in the good water as long as you can keep it right in front of you.

Demands alot of walking but in those conditions (like last weekend) it makes unfishable water fishable (if you have the room).

I had no idea the molds were so much though . . . is it coming from England? I priced out some wired beach bomb molds (sputniks) and was taken aback with the price and shipping.
http://www.shawncollinscustoms.com/sinkers2.htm#FrogTongueSinker

Based on area code I think the mold is made in Va Beach area (757)

·
Registered
87 Posts
been using the frog tongue's for years. I use 7oz with 17lb. suffix tri. Love'em. Works hand and hand with the guys on da point usin' 8oz Hati's or pyramid and 20lb line. I can jump right in the drift line and have no problems.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Tuck

Where you gettin the 7oz variety ?

I've only seen them in even number once you get above 6oz,like most american weights. 6,8,10,etc.

Having 7 oz option definitely cool.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Shawn lives in Chesapeake (I think) one day I will bite the bullet and get the molds. I have been looking at them for 2 years. Well I should have gotten on instead of that fly rod I have not used, that I got 2 years ago..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Surf Cat said:
Where you gettin the 7oz variety ?

I've only seen them in even number once you get above 6oz,like most american weights. 6,8,10,etc.

Having 7 oz option definitely cool.
picked up 20 on ebay bout 4 year ago. Last year when supply was gettin' skinny, got lucky. found 8 of'em all piled neatly in amongst bout 20 bud light cans on pea island during one of my treks. From being borrowed, got about 6 in my posession. Lookin' fer more now.

·
Registered
560 Posts
about the only place i've seen them is at f&f's (7oz)
i've seen shawns molds :):) ; worth the $$$
milled not cast .
will get 1 one day myself ...... lovee the 7oz on my 2/1 lite
derf

·
Registered
87 Posts
DERFM said:
milled not cast .
derf
After that post DERFM, I hope Frank got plenty in stock and the molds are hot. They will get gone fast, now.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DERFM said:
milled not cast .
derf
If I lived on OBX and got to surf fish as much as some, I would probably break down and get mold . As it is, I don't think I can lose $125 worth in my remaining fishing lifetime. I'll continue to make pyramid, etc., and buy Frog Tongues when I run across them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I stopped at Hatteras Jacks last year out of curiousity. Hadn't been in the store for years, usually fish more south.

Anyway, I thought I'd buy something so I grabbed some of these sinkers. Dude tried to sell them to me for $3.00 a piece. :eek:. Dude said the molds were expense and that why they were so much. Went down the beach a bit and paid like $.90. Have not been back to Hatteras Jerks since, nor will I ever spend another dollar there, not will I tell any of my friends to.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts