Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Braved the elements Friday in a 28' Grady White. Calm but rainy. Headed straight to the high rise and started working deep water. Managed a couple in the slot but only kept one. Headed to the fourth notta then worked the first couple pilings next to the third island. Boated about 20 with four in the throw back range at 32-34 inches. Did put two over 34 and 5 more in the 20-24 range to complete our four person 8 fish limit before dark and the really nasty stuff moved in. All in all Friday was OK just a little wet. Then today (saturday) we got to my buddies house about 7:30 aam and basically sat in the boat in the driveway since it started pouring and the thunder and lightning kicked in. Hell the tornado watch did not end until 8 am anyway. We sat on the boat shooting the crap for about an hour. Then just as I was about to call it a day the rain stopped and the clouds appeared to be breaking up. Hell we decided to give it a try LOL and since the winds were from the south and west the bay chop was not to bad. Worst part was between the current and the wind the boat was drifting at a pretty good clip. Fishing the pilings was impossible since you could not stay close enough or keep the boat off of them when you did and anchoring that boat was futile LOL. We moved to the tunnel tubes of the first/second islands as most of the few boats that were fishing also did. It looked like all the boats were catching some fish in the slot size. We managed to boat a few dinks and a couple keepers around 22 inches but released them all. I did manage to hook one really big fish and got him almost to the boat and just out of net range before he shook the hook loose. I would estimate him at 38 inches maybe a little bigger and had pretty good girth. Looks like there are a few bigger fish arriving. a couple more weeks, some colder temps and they should be rolling in. I think the rock and roll tourney on seagull pier will be won with a slot fish this year.

All of the Friday fish were caught on 1 oz white leadheads with Berkly Gulp 4" sardine scented tails. Needed a lot more weight to reach bottom over the tubes in the wind and current. We used 3 and 4 oz red leadheads with 5 inch mister twister tails white seemed to work best. We headed back in around 2:30 as they were calling for a line of thunderstorms with 50 knot winds. The clouds got pretty dark comming in but no rain. By the time we got to the ramp the sun was out and the skys were blue for awhile LOL but I was all fished out by then. Winds never did die down.

A word of caution for Lynnhaven. Been a couple seasons since I was on a boat that launched from the public ramp and it is pretty hairy going out the channel. Especially in the wind and current. The damn thing is very narrow and in a 28 foot boat not much room if there are two boats passing each other in oppisite directions. No room for error that is for sure. And the damn channel runs very very close to the shore and makes a pretty sharp turn at the end before you can actually enter the main channel that goes under the bridge. Damn thing would be dangerous to navigate at night. They really need to fix this. Even in the marked channel where it ran close to shore we churrned up some sand. That will be the last time we launch there untill it is widened and better marked. Leave it to Va Bch to make a cluster F__K out of that inlet.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we were catching stripers we fished next to the bay bridge tunnel pier for abpout an hour and there were only a dozen or so people on it and we did not see anything caught. However the weather was horrible and that may have played a role in the lack of catches while we were within site of the pier. I know that stripers are caught off the pier this time of year but it is hit and miss. I know that this time last year they were catching stripers off of Harrisons pier in ocean view after dark using fresh bunker or fresh cut spot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts