Pier and Surf Forum banner

freshwater variety

967 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  rockhead 
#1 ·
fished the northwest river from 6-8pm with live minnows. caught 4 crappie, one raccoon perch, two or three catfish, and either the biggest chain pickerel Ive ever seen or a big gar. I only got the fish about 2/3 way to the dock, it was 4ft if it was 4 inches!
I have never caught a gar there but it jumped four times like it thought it was a blue marlin, ive never seen a chain pickerel do this and ive never seen a chain that big. anyho on the fourth jump its teeth finally hit the line and it was gone.
The action was pretty steady.

#2 ·
I heard there were muskie in there, someone correct me if I am wrong. That's probably what you hooked into.

#3 ·
I dont know... I'm not saying that your wrong, but this thing had a funny looking mouth unlike a pickerel or musky, but if it was a musky I kick myself. supposedly musky are a fish of a thousand casts. maybe I will have to go back and try to get him again!

#5 ·
Well the spot I fish is a tributary of the true northwest river. this tributary runs through some land that my grandfather owns on head of river road(off blackwater rd), its in blackwater, right near the blackwater trading post if you know where that is. I cant thing of any other landmarks, there's not much out there but the trading post. oh I guess its about a mile from the intersection of blackwater & pungo ferry rd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.