Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to fish the south anna river of Hanover county. Are there any catfish there?
It gets to maybe 10 ft deep if that helps. Also, can you keep the fish in the South Anna?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not the same thing but they are close to each other, so I'd like to take a look at what you have.

Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
not too sure how far downstream you are fishing it, but west of richmond, the south anna river can be waded or canoed and has a heck of a lot of 1-2 lb smallmouth bass. it does have some catfish as well, but i wouldn't think of it as a catfish river or one where you have much of a chance of landing a large catfish. i don't know about downstream portions, but it just isn't big enough to have any real population of large cats.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Pierdweller-

Here is some of what I have on Lake Anna. Out of the top 25 rated waters at the Virginia Department of Inland Game & Fisheries Department Lake Anna is #16. That is in relation to the number of Trophy Fish caught last year. Next to Smith Mountain Lake & Buggs Island Lake, Lake Anna is #3 in Trophy Crappie caught. The lake is comprised of Striped Bass, Walleye, Large Mouth Bass, Crappie, Bluegill, White Perch & Channel Catfish. The lake does have some man made reef sturctures that were built a few years back & they do play host to alot of catfish. This lake does have some big Bass. In this body of water you will do best fishing for Channel Catfish in the summer months in deeper water. In the winter catfish can be caught near heated water comming from the North Anna Nuclear Power Plant. I hope this info helps some. I was looking through my stuff for electro fishing reports. For Lake Anna Catfish I am missing that statistical info. Further info you can obtain from Chip Long Fisheries Biologist 465-6843 email [email protected]

"Take nothing but memories & fish. Leave nothing behind"

Thank God I Fish

Todd S. Marsalek

1 - 8 of 8 Posts