Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off... great site. I've been following this site for about a week (alot of info to be had here). This site reminds me of www.gofishohio.com - > I use it alot and post a bunch - friendly people (mostly) with a wealth of knowledge (so they say) ;)

Hopefully this "rookie" can get some guideance from the "vets". Here is the deal... I will be at one of the tourist traps strip hotels on a family vacation for 5-7 days in late Aug. My wife has not decided yet (probably more north - Maryland or Delaware).

I'm interested in doing some inshore fishing and have not a clue were to begin. Here is my set up I use to catch Hybrids from the locks on the Ohio river. I have a 11' spinning "Predator" European long rod. Rated for up to 20# test and 3oz. Very light weight rod with a fast taper and Med. action. I got a cheap (albeit works for me) Mitchell 300x that I could probably respool with PowerPro 20#.

My main question is... with a wife and kid, I will not at all be mobile. Is it possible to catch any type of fish from the beach in front of my hotel (give or take 100 yrds north or south) :confused: ?? I would be able to fish every morning from 6a to about 9a (or until my wife loses her patience with the baby) and maybe an hour or so before dark. I figure 5-7 days at the beach will be more fishing time than I would get at home for 5-7 MONTHS :( . My preference is to use artifical. I have a good number of 1oz bucktails, 1.5 - 2oz casting spoons and a bunch of large/heavy plastics. I can accuratly cast the bucktails about 60 yrd and the casting spoons about 75-80 yrds. I might be able to launch 'em further if accuracy did'nt matter :D .

Is any spot in front of any beach hotel gonna produce anything?? Or would I have more luck swimin' my jig through the hotels pool :confused: My first though is I MAY pick up some stragelers during the week... BUT I could also be tossing a spoon into a few billion gallons of empty water. Any suggestions would help. I would be open for pier fishing (as this is mostly what I do on the OHIO River)... but I would be limited to 1-2 day for about 3-4 hours :( . But I'll do what I have to to cath some fish (doesn't matter I couldn't tell a flouder from a blue to save my life). I know I rattled on but hopefully all the guru's will chime in and not only help me but all the other mid western hard core fishing "tourist" that have to bake in the sun with the family for a weeks vacation. Tight lines !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi RiverRat
Last summer I drove from maryland down to florida, check out atlantic beaches. People fishing in front of every hotel. Talk to some folks, on one beach lotsa people going for distance but only one guy catching, every single cast. his told me his secret: other people casting to far.
just have fun and good luck
tool

·
Registered
176 Posts
It's a little hard to give you an accurate answer about how you might do surf fishing without knowing the state in which you'll be staying. Some beaches near tourist strips are devoid of the type of structure that attracts feeding fish. Ask the same question when you know for sure where you'll be staying. The times you gave for being able to fish sound pretty good, depending on the tides.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
During your stay,in MD. or Del. check out (IRI)Indian River Inlet,Del. the Blues will be hungry for anything you can throw at them,but watch out for their teeth they can do you some harm if you put your fingers to close to their mouths,if your going to use lures make sure you buy some 60# test because Blues love to bite through smaller diameter line(use the larger # test for your leader). this place has alot of different fish,Rock,sea trout,spot,croaker,flounder,tog.You can chech into the local bait shops and ask what bitin and what on.The last time I was at O.C.(Ocean City)I use to fish on the beach around 50th st.but after all the people left the beach for that evening and did very well with spot,croaker and some sand sharks, another thing you can do is to check out some of the piers and ask around.Your rod is a good length and so is your reel,I wouldn't use over 20#test for the surf around MD.- Del. :D :D TRIGGER

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Triggerfish

Chances are we'll be staying in O.C. (possibly Dewey beach DE). On 52nd St... were you using live bait or artifical? With my lightweight 11' rod, I can cast lures for hours with no problem - but if I need a bunch of lead to keep rig on the bottom - I might be in some trouble

Is there anything in particular to look for on a log stretch of beach that may hold fish? From the 10th floor of a hotel I will have a birds eye view (like... deeper holes or an irregular sand bar) :D I know in the Ohio River even a small irregularity in the shore line will hold a few fish. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I don't know about right in from of your hotel (probably machined beaches with no structure), but if you go to a pier, you'll catch fish.
One place I know is easy to catch fish in OC is 32nd street next to the Jolly Roger (bayside).
You would prob do better with bait, but you don't need much lead to hold bottom bayside. Your 11 ft noodle would do just fine.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Try this OhRiverRat Reading the Beach Like Husky said most beaches there are machined but if you could find any structure to it you will have a better chance at fish rather than just throwing out anywhere. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Good for you in being a good hubby and getting back to the room before the wife pulls her hair out with jr.It will go a long in earnin points so that when jr. gets a little older, the both of you can hit the fishin hole and moms won't mind.Good luck!! the R

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Here is a couple of other articles on the general subject.reading the beach for soft structure
and
A good general article
Looking at the waves breaking tells the story of what is under the water.
Throd you have will throw lures quiet well.
Bring Bucktails for a start as well as some tins (metal lures some with feathers) If bait is necessary you will probably need a little heavier setup. Then you have to ask youself will I be doing this again, to decide if it worth getting another rod and if how much should you put into it. Surf rods with reels range form 30 bucks to probably 800. But before looking for a rod. Go to the Md and Del forum and ask what is there and how it is normally caught, as I can answer for other places but not there. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
welcome to the salt water side of fishing should be a good change :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello Ohriverrat Inre: I bought the same rod you have several years ago. It is a little flexible but it does have the backbone. As stated above if you are in de try henlopen pier,Ir inlet If you are in Ocean city try the route 50 bridge the inlet or the oceanic pier. Good Luck You may want to try 1 of the headboats Even if you don't produce fish you will enjoy the boat ride For the jetty use a rod that is shorter in length that is more stout

·
Registered
36 Posts
ohriverrat, I have spent a few weeks in OC Maryland fishing the beach in front of where we stay (127 st) and the fishing is pretty good expecially in the fall. you probably have better luck from the fishing pier or in the back bay but if you won't be very mobil the beach is better than nothing. The most important thing is that you are fishing :D :D

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
OhRiverRat-Try this site www.oysterbaytackle.com and look under fishing locations,it gives you a list of places to go and what to use and you can also check out the tackle shops,both of them. I hope this helps you and good luck.TRIGGER

1 - 13 of 13 Posts