Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been hearing about people having luck with some fresh shrimp and just wanted some opinions. I have mostly used bloodworms and a few times shrimp but with little luck.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
reddog1

It's just the fish and what they want on any given day. I always have in my bait cooler bloods, fresh shrimp and chicken breast. To many times I've been out there with the wrong bait of the day. Don't get caught with your pants down, take it all....Tightlines

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yes, I agree it depends on location and time of day. I've only been to two places this year and that was at Ft. Smallwood and SPSP. Bloodworms will catch you fish almost anytime of day since since you can cover a wide range of fish with bloodworms. When croakers aren't biting during the day you can at least catch perch with bloodworms. Shrimp will catch you croakers on a good tide and especially later in the evening. I prefer shrimp after what I've seen at SPSP and maybe some squid since it's pretty durable. I wouldn't be surprise if you catch 3-4 croakers off the same piece of squid :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
And you can't beat shrimp if you want to catch some roundheads (mullet, kingfish, whiting, or whatever name you wish to call them). Bloodworms just don't do good for that variety (not for me, anyway).

As already mentioned, I like to have both. I buy the 2 pound frozen shrimp (not cooked, of course), from Sam's Club (comes in a re-sealable bag). It's cheaper this way, and I just put whatever I think I need into a ziplock bag before heading out. It thaws quickly, and is convienient. (I know many say that using fresh shrimp is best, and it is, but I have very good luck on previously frozen shrimp as well.)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
skrimp

I used loose frozen 40-50 count shrimp that were on sale at Super Fresh for $5.99/lb on Monday Night. Worked well cut in thirds. I wish I could get bloods more often, but everyone closes at 7. I just keep shrimp in the freezer and break them out when I get to go fishing. Shrimp stay on the hook pretty well to. Sometimes you get the double splash, but not too often. I will be taking the same shrimp to SPSP on Friday night.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
When season getting into gear,usually buy bworms which catch spot,some croak and striper,then will cut up a spot for cut bait to catch blues ,flounder etc..Use whole spot for drum,cobe, shark etc. Lures fill in gaps..squid early in season....the R

·
Registered
47 Posts
Saw on the Bogue pier page that the worm diggers on strike. Price will go up ,didn't say how much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts