Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where's the best place to get local fresh seafood (unprepared)in early November on 64 before hitting 12 South? Clams,shrimp,tuna,grouper .. anything.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Not sure of the name but there is a green and white metal warehouse that would be the last establishment on the right as you are leaving the town of Columbia headed for the coast. I have always purchased oysters there when inbound to see folks in Western NC. They have everything and the lady will walk you through the facility and show what has just come in if you like.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Where's the best place to get local fresh seafood (unprepared)in early November on 64 before hitting 12 South? Clams,shrimp,tuna,grouper .. anything.
Oneals Fish House in Wanchese ... Right at the light at the Manteo Wanchese intersection.. Follow until you see a sign pointing you to the Commercial District not long after you pass the Duck Thru...Make a left there and follow it around the big curve.. Oneals will be on the right.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Not sure of the name but there is a green and white metal warehouse that would be the last establishment on the right as you are leaving the town of Columbia headed for the coast. I have always purchased oysters there when inbound to see folks in Western NC. They have everything and the lady will walk you through the facility and show what has just come in if you like.
Brenda is a very nice lady at Full Circle Seafood in Columbia... I stop and pick up bait (mullet) if it scarce on the island...
Since your coming to the OBX there are far more and better choices from Kitty Hawk to Hatteras Village. I previously just mentioned one.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about a place called Sugar Creek right before you hit 12 South? Any good?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
What about a place called Sugar Creek right before you hit 12 South? Any good?
Yeah for Lunch and Dinner... Get in before 5pm for dinner and get a discount with a coupon.
Less expensive than Lone Cedar or Tale of The Whale on that same stretch of road on the other side.

The Prepared food at Oneals is off the dang chain! While they are putting together your seafood order you can sit down and eat the freshest seafood on the entire OBX. Straight off the boat 25 yards away.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah for Lunch and Dinner...
Don't they have a market too? Just wondering about the pricing/quality on the market side stuff, not much interested in riding up there to eat .. just maybe grab a few things on the way south.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Don't they have a market too? Just wondering about the pricing/quality on the market side stuff, not much interested in riding up there to eat .. just maybe grab a few things on the way south.
No Market at Sugar Creek, Its a restaurant. They actually buy much of their seafood from Oneals.

Look Dude, its less than 10 mins to go to Wanchese right off 64..If you're in that big of a hurry I can't help you any further than you Hitting Whalebone seafood.
Its on the Bypass right after you go around the curve on your right up about 300 yards. They get much of their seafood from Oneals also...Oneals is a seafood wholesaler distributor.. its a huge operation .. All the Comm guys sell to them and they sell to fish markets, restaurants and tackle shops (bait) plus have their own retail outlet and restaurant....Id rather go straight to Oneals.

You asked for the Best Place seafood market... Pricing, Quality and SELECTION... I just gave it to you

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also found a new place my bud at work turned me on this afternoon called Outland Fish Market that's right on 64 on the right before you cross the sound leaving Manns Harbor. Called both of them this afternoon and at O'neils today heads on shrimp was $4.75 and at Outlands it was $4.99 so they are surely competitive in both price and selection. When pulling campers/5 wheels/ and trailing gear with multiple vehicles in the train convenience/location is worth paying for and if no sh!tty weather comes in with fresh water intrusions this should be an epic fall season. Tight lines .. catch 'em up !!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Also found a new place my bud at work turned me on this afternoon called Outland Fish Market that's right on 64 on the right before you cross the sound leaving Manns Harbor. Called both of them this afternoon and at O'neils today heads on shrimp was $4.75 and at Outlands it was $4.99 so they are surely competitive in both price and selection. When pulling campers/5 wheels/ and trailing gear with multiple vehicles in the train convenience/location is worth paying for and if no sh!tty weather comes in with fresh water intrusions this should be an epic fall season. Tight lines .. catch 'em up !!
Man OK Whatever, It's the little place right beside Whites Store In Manns Harbor... Maybe you should Google Earth it and see how big their parking lot is, since you are driving Land Yachts.:unsure:..... They always have a big sign out front saying how much their shrimp costs..... Ive never been in there nor really pay any mind to the sign......$4.99 a pound huh.... What Count size? Id never want to hold up tourists in a wagon train or get them stuck like the "Donner Party". No telling what they'd do when they run out of those little shrimp.

You initially asked about Location, selection and price... You can stop anywhere and buy cheap shrimp from Plymouth to Hatteras Inlet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts