Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to NY this weekend and plan to do some upstate Striper fishing on the Hudson in Troy, NY. Reports say fresh or frozen cut herring is the secret, but that it's gotten really hard to find any.

So, Does anyone know where I can get some herring around here?????

·
Registered
187 Posts
Husky -- Best way to get to Maine Ave is:

I-270 South, to
I-495 West (towards Tyson's Corner), to
GW Parkway (south), to
I-395 North (to DC), to
Maine Avenue exit (very soon after crossing river)

As you face river on Maine avenue, seafood boats are to the right, just before the overpass, restaurants are to the left.

If you can't locate any, send me an email. I have some frozen herring I can spare, and live close to you (just off I-270 and Montrose). Of course, I'll insist on payment of 1/3 of your catch!! :D :D Just kidding. -- Foodfan

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sound like good directions. So once I get to the boats on the right and the restaurants on the left, where would I find herring? is there a fish market there? where?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Husky -- Seafood boats are lined up along the shore and sell a wide variety of fish. I've never looked for herring, so can't confirm who would have some. You might want to check Yellow Pages under Seafood to find a few locations on Maine Ave in DC and call ahead. I believe Captain White's is one of the larger ones.

Another option for really fresh herring is to catch them using a Sabiki (multi-hook) rig, available at Sport's Authority. That's how I caught over 40 of them last weekend along the boat channel side at East Potomac Park (this is the park along the river just across the I-395/14th Street bridge).

·
Registered
187 Posts
Jangwuah has a good idea there. Note that Fletcher's charges $4.00 for 2 herring. I think you'll do better price-wise at Maine Ave. IF you can find some.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. Foodfan, thanks for the info and your kind offer. Hopefully, my mom will find some in NY. If not, maybe I'll give you a call tonight. You'll at least let me pay you for the herring I hope.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone.
I posted earlier this morning that I found herring in NY and we caughty nice 30" rockfish (stripers) in NY while I was there.
For some reason, it never posted though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts