Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
New comers are welcome. Rumor has it that Roy Yarmouth and his friend Chite Shuvler will be there also.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Mitchman,

These free classes are for anyone that wants to reach more fish. Sandy Point State Park (SPSP) is good example of why distance counts. The people that cast 300 feet and less catch small perch and spots at while those that cast over 300 feet catch fat juicy Croakers, Stripers, Flounder, Etc. This not true of all fishing at SPSP, but it does illustrate the point. Take a look at the video on this forum to get feel of what we do at practice. Most people gain from 100 to 200 feet the first day.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I think I may come this week

I know you've posted this a million times, but how do I get to kenilworth park? I'm up near Rockville (I270).

Also, my only 12' is an ugly stick and I have found I can cast just as far with my 11' rod becuase the tip on the ugly is too flexible. Should I just bring the 11' rod?

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Found directions, but a question

I found this in an earlier thread:
From the North: From I-95/495 South (towards Richmond) take Exit 22 on to the Baltimore/Washington Parkway/I-295 South. This turns into Kenilworth Ave. Exit at Burroughs/Minnesota. At the five way stop Kenilworth Park is to your Right. We use the first two fields on the right.

But, when I exit at Burroughs/Minnesota Ave, is that a right turn or a left? Also, is there parking right at the park?

Sorry, I avoid DC like the plague. Even Rockville is too much city for me.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
you can cast 75 feet?

wow, I'm still at 40-50 ft.
Jangwuah, come --I'd like to see your new rods. Wouldn't mind casting them either!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discount

If you attend the free casting session on 07/26/2003. I will allow you to register and discount your entry fee by $5 to the 2003 Point Look Out Shore fishing tournament . You must pay for the tournament on 07/26/2003 to be eligible for this offer. The first 10 slots have already been taken.

Anthony

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sorry I can't make the second session this Saturday. It's my wife's birthday and she has other plans. (No replies about who's the boss necessary.....we know it's her ;) ) I have been working on what I learned last week and have added about 50 more feet to my casts. I have a long way to go but at least I know what to work on.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Summerplay you bringing food with you? Is Roy Yarmouth riding with you?

·
Registered
551 Posts
It was nice meeting all the casters that came out for the free casting lessons at Kenilworth Park this weekend!

A special thanks to all those that stayed until way past 12:00. I hope the added information helps.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Here are the new video clips from the free casting lessons on July 26, 2003. Six or seven people reached a new personal best. This week we covered the cast in more detail. It was nice to see so many new faces. People asked lots of great questions. They now have a better understanding of how and why things work. We had a surprise visit from Longcaster. Most people were surprised to see how little effort it takes to increase their distance. We had three ladies this wee, WOW!

We covered safety and shockleaders, locking the drag on a spinning reel to avoid finger cuts, basic reel tuning, and the importance of relaxing to achieve greater distance. It was nice to see so many people improve in just one day.

Dcfishman,
tame that reel and I'll see you at the Delaware casting seminar in two weeks.
Naiad,
you are kicking butt, don't stop now. You've doubled your distance in just one week. You show be very proud.
HuskyMd,
Thanks for coming out. Don't look back, Andy is pushing up on you.
Andy,
for a new angler, you had some very good casts.
Jangwuah,
practice with half power until you improve your aim. Your best cast were really flying.
JohnR,
relax and let it fly.
Everyone else,
look high and reach for the clouds. Thanks for giving my Saturday mornings real meaning. Most of you can expect to add another 100 feet with just a few more lessons. Forget distance for now. Concentrate on form and practice at the water; you'll have more fun and catch more fish.

Dial-Up

Broadband

Real Player

We hope to see you at the next free class August 23rd from 9am – 12 noon in Kenilworth Park, DC.

If the video does not play download it directly from this link:
http://mywpages.comcast.net/longcasters/
Windows users can right click on the “Free Lessons (broadband)” and save the file to their hard drive.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks to LongRanger, Longcaster, Aero, and everybody. Was out for my first time saturday. On my second cast, I improved approximately 75 feet to about 350. I can smell the croakers cookin' :D . I'm anxious to try with my 12ft rod.

Thanks again.
Jackson

·
Registered
681 Posts
Jackson

Throw an extra one on an invite me over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
lessons

I like to thank all the instructor's Larry,Richard and a few others for all your help,information&tips;again I had a great time. Getting out there makes a difference:jawdrop:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.