Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, was wondering if anyone is familiar with fountain head park, occoquan reservoir, planned to do some fishing, maybe rent a boat. any hot spots in that area? i normally fish the bay (saltwater fisherman), but a friend of mine wants to try this place out, since he lives close by. thanks for any help.

fish-on

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Don't bother. That was my backyard growing up and it's deep deep water. Lot's of submerged trees for structure but need good electronics to locate fish. Unless you bring your own electronics, the rentals don't come with any equipment (or motor). Crappie fishing can be good but you need to locate them.
Ok, that was 20 years ago but I'm sure it hasn't changed. I did see a 52# cat pulled out of there from a guy on the dock fishing a rubber worm - go figure.
I use to fish the Occoquan River, below the 2nd dam in the town of Occoquan. During the spring shad runs, the stripers would congregate below the rip-rap and have a buffet.
If I were still up there and jonesin' to fish, I'd check out the Occoquan river (since it's close to your friends home) or dunk some bait down towards Quantico (Leesylvania State Park) or up in DC (Hanes, Fletcher's, etc).

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Burke Lake - That's where we'd go when we skipped school back in HS - HA! :D
That place brings back some memories...oh yeah, fishing that is. Burke Lake is full of bluegills. Bobber and nightcrawlers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts