Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the Fort Saturday in the same hole I fished two weeks ago when I nailed the blues but had minimal success this week. Caught several nice blues and one nice whiting all on cut bait on single drop bottom rigs. Fished with shrimp, red worms with no success.

Drove in straight from Columbia on Saturday, arrived around 2:30 PM with my son to catch the low tide at 4:30 PM. Fished until approx 8:00 PM and was the last to leave the Fort. Did not see anyone else have much success either...

Go figure

·
Registered
217 Posts
We fished the Fort from 7:30 am to 2:00 pm - the place was PACKED but we saw very little 'catching' happening. The fish just did not want to cooperate for some reason.

Our catch (other than 3 small potato sized pomps and 2 baby blues) consisted of two black drum and one 15" blue fish - that was it.

Fireline - what type of cut bait were you using? We used finger mullet, spot, and croaker to no avail.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Salted slab cut mullet from the Trading post. Cut in 1-2 inch squares.

Rig was a home made one drop bottom rig about 30 inches off the bottom with 2/0 Mustad Atlantic Limerick J hooks,...sharp, cheap and they set themselves deep in the lip,,,no gut hooks ever for me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sunday @ the fort

Didn't get to Fish friday, ended up spending two hours in line waiting to vote. Decided sunday would have to be the day. Started of at Kure beach around 8. Fished till high. It was crowded and I had a few people come and set up close to me and my bud. 1 small blueie. After a while we decided to head down an scope out the beach at the fort. No 4x4 so we just walked the beach till we found some good water. After missing one and then landing a small skate, my rod bucked again. I ran for it, did a little hook set on the fly , fell over but kept the rod tip high. A nice little fight, and a 1lb 15oz pomp was on the beach. Biggest pomp of the year and the only fish in the cooler today. Not much after that.
IF its not 2-3 footers go for the pomps.
best of luck
TD

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did cruise down the beach at Freeman on Sunday Morning on my way out, and saw only 10-20 campers and 30-40 fishermen. Gonna have to try the North End next trip up...

Always liked the water up there, but hate the major party crowds. Looks like that has died down

·
3,775 Posts
Yea giys, I know I havnt been reporting lately but the North End is yielding a little more then the south right now. Much More Slot drum and blues.

Kyle and I hit a few holes we know of on some walkover accesses. Kykle got a 1.6 pound pomp and I got three sheepies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts