Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plan on going fishing over Labor Day weekend. Never been out to Fort Monroe before, but advise on the best place to fish and what kind of fish can we expect to find would be greatly appreciated? Thanks.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I usually only fish off the mechanics pier, but you can catch just about everything you can think off for a small pier. I've caught blues, flounder, sea bass, skates, lizard fish, puffers, striper, rays, croakers, spot, kingfish, and stargazers, plus more I just can't think of. This time of the year you'll catch all of that except the striper. If you plan on just throwing out a bottom rig use bloodworms or crab, and do not cast directly off the end, there is a big pipe line that runs parallel to the pier and is very easy to hit. If you like to jig, you can drop your jig right off the end of the pier, real up the tension lift up 2-3 feet, let it drop back down, wait 3 or 4 minutes do it again, almost guaranteed to catch a flounder. Or you could jig parallel to the rocks and catch redfish if you're lucky, and flounder. There tend to be a lot of bluefish out there so either be prepared to loose a lot of jigs or bring some smaller jig heads. Carolina rigs with cut mullet also produce fairly well, though generally you'll catch skates and rays. The regulars are generally very nice, 2 or 3 of the guys that fish out of there weekly also tag fish, so if you catch a tagged fish (not uncommon) or anything you plan on releasing talk to one of those guys and they'll tag it. If you need any more help shoot me a pm.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Andrew,

I'll be at Mill Creek, behind Fort Moroe (is is right?). I assume the same species can be caught? How come striper is not around? I'm sure there are plenty of bait swimming around. What month is for striper there?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yeah, same area, though I'm not sure how well the fishing is back there, never been myself but I've seen a ton of people out there. Replied to your pm too.

·
Registered
671 Posts
If you hit the pier...the wooden one, not the floating one. Hit the right corner, you will run into croakers, mullet, and some spot. The corner gets thick, but the regs are usually pretty cool as long as you don't cast all over their lines ;)

I have also seen some drum caught off the right side casting parallel to the rocks.

If you go on the other side of the fort there is a floating pier, I like to fish from shore. I usually hit a lot of spot there. I hope this helps some, I think I'll be out there on Labor Day...I can only imagine the crowd. LOL

MYT

·
Registered
435 Posts
The left corner is also good for croaker, spot, and mullet also, just more weeds from my experience. I'm going up this Wednesday to hopefully beat the crowd. It's going to be packedd next weekend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Went to Fort Monroe this morning. Caught the incoming tide and it was rippin', the wind was extremely strong also. Only managed 4 pan sized croaker, 3 spot and a host of oyster toads. Not bad and not good either. All in all it was a good morning.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Wasn't able to get out today, wind was too bad. Tomorrow I might head out there, but it all depends. Going to head out before sunrise Saturday and Sunday and beat the crowd. Thanks for the report Bromo.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I personally think the mechanics pier is your best bet. Lost a keeper (if not, damn close) flounder and saw several spot and some big croaker brought up yesterday.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I wasn't referring to the "mechanics pier" as the floating pier. There is actually a floating pier on the other side of the fort facing mill creek, much calmer water and you can get into some nice spot over there on incoming tide.

Let me see if this link works.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=fort+monroe+hampton,+va&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=55.849851,114.169922&ie=UTF8&ll=37.00505,-76.309991&spn=0.021385,0.038418&t=h&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=fort+monroe+hampton,+va&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=55.849851,114.169922&ie=UTF8&ll=37.00505,-76.309991&spn=0.021385,0.038418&t=h" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

You see the "mechanics pier" at the bottom off Fenwick Rd? Well at the top of the map you will see a small little pier(a floating pier,LOL) off Stillwell Rd. There isn't much room from the little pier, but you can cast off the shore and do pretty well! Your going to have to scroll in to see the street names...

MYT

1 - 20 of 24 Posts