Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished FF the past two evenings with big brother, cuz bill and jeff, Fri night was slow with one small black drum caught. Sat night was beautiful, high 50's with a light wind. Fishing was slow until jeff hooked up with something BIG just after dark. He fought it for right at an hour before almost beaching a large shark. It made one more run, jeff handed the rod over to cuz who fought it for another 15 min or so. Finally we had a large sand tiger on the beach. We were trying to get a measure when the beast swung around showed it's teeth and GROWLED (no kiddin) at big brother...... lol, I had no idea he could move that fast as he stumbled backwards landing right on his butt in the wash..... :) Got a fairly accurate measure at about 8'6". Would estimate 200-250 lbs. Working carefully cuz helped it back into the incoming tide and off the beast swam....... man what a night.

This was supposed to be our week in Hatteras but Fort Fisher worked out just great.

Oh yea cuz set a new PB fri at 585. Big brother is making progress with the back cast breaking the 500' barrier today.

Tommy

·
Registered
681 Posts
Proud

Big Brother,

We are proud of you.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Tommy,

Glad to hear you guys had a good time and caught something.

This work thing has my life skewed in the wrong direction, sorry I missed it.

Congrats to Jeff, good job by everyone.

If you managed to get a shot of the Sand Tiger, I'd like to see it, that's a good shark from the beach without paddling or swimming your baits out.

Blaine

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope we have a pic. Charlie was trying to get one, he's not sure if the battery was dead in the camera or not. I never saw a flash so i have doubts.

Wish you could have been here Blaine, it was one of those moments that will be relived for years........ only big brothers cat like reflexes saved him from the growling sand tiger....lol

it was great

Tommy

·
Registered
801 Posts
BTW

the knot that landed that scoundrel was the "no-name" knot. take that all you "gotta have a double running line" know it alls.
charlie

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big Brother...

is right. No bimini twist or spyder hitch or aussie braid. Just a 50lb test suffix shock leader tied to 17 lb test running line. Knot was an overhand/4 turn uni knot tied by yours truely.

Re-enforced my belief in tying good knots and just what 17lb test is capable of in the right hands (jeff's) on an open beach.

Tommy

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have been using...

the Bimini knot lately. I did not know that this made me a know-it-all fisherman. Now I know! :) Thanks, pelican man.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts