Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening,
I was on Fort Fisher last night when the little bit of weather blew through.
I could tell by the sudden lights and movement just before high tide and through 4 or 5 AM some of you didn't enjoy feeding the pinfish through the storm.
One set up in particular, describe your reels, rods, rodholders, I'll get them to you. I saw your rod holders emerge from the water around 6 am or so.
If you rolled out and left anything you like, I'll clean it up and give it back if you want it.
I drink nearly any beer, no big deal.
I didn't catch anything significant, but the shelling this morning was spot on.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Any drag marks leading to the water?

If it looks like a struggle mapped out in the sand and then it ends where water and land meet, it happens up on Hatteras Island from time to time. A giant Shark known as the Salvo Hole Monster could be the culprit.

A lot of folks go after this OBX Shark and by and large the most common is rookie Sharkers with substandard stand up gear and Braided line in the over 100 pound range. Pro Sharkers know only too well about the Salvo Monster and these Sharkers avoid the North Beach area altogether during the summer and fall months....too dangerous they say....

Typical scenario as told by Dare County Detectives facing a real life who-dunnit:
The rookie Sharker bags out a Tuna Head and the Salvo Monster which comes in close only very late at night as in after 2:00AM at the earliest, grabs that Tuna Head. Because of non-stretch of the Braid the reel which is subject to tremendous over torqueing by the Salvo Monster quickly vaporizes the drag washer grease and the reel locks up.

Unfortunately if as has been the case on multiple occasions the sharker is strapped to the rod...well you can guess it is not pretty....

Once a rod and reel rusted beyond belief and covered with barnacles washed up on the beach just above Avon......trapped by barnacles in the leather fore-grips grips were human fingernails......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish it was something that cool! They were still in rod holders down by the low tide line. They were dunked for a few hours.
I appreciate you replying Garbo, I always enjoy reading your stories and expertise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I found a rod with fingernails marks in it, it would be on my wall forever.

·
Registered
424 Posts
That critter latched on the my sea mullet head (drum bait) one morning just about 3:30AM south of Ramp 23. I had 3 rods out with Penn 525's on them. Many didnt like the clickers on those reels because they werent loud enough. I assure you that clicker can be loud and you can hear it scream at you when you are 20 feet away nodding off in a chair. Anyway, I got to the rod before it was ripped from the spike and turned the clicker off, but there was no stopping the Salvo Hole Monster. He (she) didnt even know it was hooked. I did have to re spool that reel after the sun came up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I work at island tackle on the island and a guy from Clinton came in yesterday and bought a new reel said that they packed up and he left 2 rods and sand spikes down there by accident... bet they are his... ill see if i can get a name... they are still down fishing the remainder of the week...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts