Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one see a problem joining Berkley big game 30# mono to braided Spiderwire Stealth 30 # trying to use up the free sample we got in the mail awhile back. Any special Knot would be great.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Don't know if my copy will work (if Knot, Ill feel like an idiot) but here goes:

Surgeon's Knot

This is the knot surgeons use to put you back together so its a safe bet it is a good one. If you tie it good and tight it is an excellent knot for joing your main line to your fluorocarbon or shock leader. With practice you should be able to tie it in the dark.

1. Lay line and leader parallel, overlapping 6" to 8".

2.Treating the two like a single line, tie an overhand knot, pulling the entire leader through the loop.

3. Leaving the loop of the overhand open, pull both tag end of line and leader through again.

4. Hold both lines and both ends to pull knot tight. Clip ends close to avoid foul-up in rod guides.

Obviously no pictures, but I tried:(

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Shaggy & Kozlow...That's a good knot to use especially when you have to tie it in the dark. I like it because it's simple to tie and I've never had it fail.

Catman.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I just do a regular old Albright knot if the diameters are different or a uni-uni knot if they are similar. Then I tie a locknot on the braid tag end. Usually a couple half hitches and snug it down tight. Never had a problem and it's easier than "Alberto".:D

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Depends on how tight the drag is set. I don't have a problem with it happening though. That's why I went back to mono though. I find that braid isn't that great for most situations.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks-will try 30# PP as mainline, 50# as shock leader and 80# mono as leader. Have been getting bitten off with 50-60#. Next step is wire cable!

Have been using 30# mono as main with 50# leader and can't thow 4 and bait much more the 50 yards. Think the 30# is too thick.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Flistell...I've gone to 50# PP and eliminated the shock leader. Same dia. at 10# mono and you can cast it a mile. Just tie on a 100# welded ring snap swivel and add 36" of 80# leader to that. I know a lot of guys think the shock leaded is necessary but not so if you use 50# PP. There's no way you're going to snap the line.

Catman.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.