Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking a lot lately about my fishing trips back in the mid and late 80s at the Sandbridge and Va. Beach piers.

Do any of you regulars from Sandbridge remember a woman named Alice? I spent many, many days whiling away the afternoon with her and her daughter but she slowly disappeared after she said she won a settlement against Water Country USA for an injury. She said she was dumping her winnings into an offshore boat. She was a white lady in her early 40s who usually chased bottom fish.

The other two people I'm wondering about were usually on the Va. Beach Pier. There was Ulysses, a towering black man who spent most of his time chasing cobia and kings. I always liked him because he helped teach me the ropes and kept an eye out for me. He even scared the heck out of some drunk ******** one night who were giving me a hard time. Then there was Al, a quiet guy who everyone said was a professional hockey player who fished the pier in the summer for spanish mackerel. Then there were the two kids my age: Paul (don't remember his last name, but we fished together constantly) and Tony Santos, whose father worked on the pier. And finally, there was George, an employee on the Va. Beach Pier who actually held his wedding reception at Ocean Eddies. I'll never forget the sight of him in a powder blue tux, stumbling up the pier and stinking mightily of booze, leaving his own reception to ask me if anything was biting.

Sorry for the reminiscence. But if you know anything of what happened to these people, let me know.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't know what happened to her, but I sure remember Alice.....AND her daughter. She was quite a fisherperson (political correct cause she'll whop butt if you get on her bad side). She sure loved to talk and tell tales!

·
Registered
888 Posts
If its the Alice Im thinking of she was a nurse and fished out there pretty regularily for kings and cobia. I ran into her at rudee inlet a few years ago. She lives in Kitty Hawk or Nags head now. Not sure about the other people. geo

·
Registered
77 Posts
George still works there SandFlea; I've seen him working the p/lot the last time my wife and I were there-before Isabel hit. Nearly any evening in Aug. he would be there, telling me about how the day was going on the pier...nice fella!

Doad.:cool:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wow sandflea, you really brought back some memories.

I haven't been posting here since the format changed, but finally remembered my password, lol. But I go here every night to get bay and beach reports and think this is one fantastic board!

I fished Sandbridge a lot when Alice (what a hardcore character--no fear at all!) and her daughter (all i can say is woah) were out there, and remember the spanish blitzes (people stacked up 4 deep and casting over my head!)--anyway, last I heard was she moved to somewhere in nags head and that she fished the Outerbanks pier on a regular basis, but this was several years ago. I also remember Lum and the girl he dated at the time--and her two brothers--very nice people and incredible casting (and fish-catching talent) among them.

As for George at Va beach....yep, just saw him this past saturday night as i was going into Ocean Eddie's--he works the parking lot and sometimes fishes during the day. He's doing fine, as far as i can tell, but i really can't picture him in a blue tux!

I fish Virginia Beach Pier regularly, and the Avalon Pier in KDH---so strange that neither of my two favorite piers were destroyed in the storm. But i also used to fish Buckroe, as well as Grandview, and have fished most every pier in this area at one time or another. Right now, i'm about to switch over to fall/winter fishing at CBBT pier for tog and stripers.

I'll ask around about Alice next time i'm in KDH.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stingsilver said:
I fished Sandbridge a lot when Alice (what a hardcore character--no fear at all!) and her daughter (all i can say is woah)
No kidding! Her daughter was a serious hottie, and I don't have to feel like a pervert for ogling her because I was in my teens too. :D

I'll have to say hi to George next time I'm there. Wonder if he'll remember me?

Now if I could only find out about the rest...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Where's Alice....

Ran into her 3 years ago at Kitty Hawk Pier. I first noticed her laying face down on the pier deck amongst all the king rigs. At first I thought she was looking between the planks at something under the pier, but then realized she was fast asleep - snoozing. Rolland Johnosn, who I was fishing with at the time, point out that it was Alice. We did meet a few hours after she woke up. Everyone is right, she's a colorful fishing personality on any pier. She was fishing with some nice gear.... I believe she now lives in the KH area, working for Krispy Creme.

Lum - he married that young girl he was hanging with. Her name is Becky. He's still around though does not fish as often as he use to. Fishes down at the point mostly.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hmmm, Alice?

Yeah, I've run into a "Alice" on the OBX piers.

If memory serves...

Nurse, I would place her at 50 or so. Not fat really, but solid built. Never saw or heard of a hottie daughter. Fished the end for the big ones and spanish.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
LUM fishes the point regularly with bubbas and his wife great guys seen them last in sept..... JAM

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Sandflea

Ran into a Ulysses on Lynnhaven during that Oct 11 Noreaster. I took notice cause he was one heck of a caster. He consistently cast his line a long distance from the pier. And he stood broad indeed. I just happened to take pics of his flounder catch. And when I asked his name......he proudly replied, "Ulysses, the name is Ulysses." What a guy!

Didn't put the name together with your post til just now. Hope you've just gotten another piece of the puzzle put into place.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts