Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem like a simple question but what type of shoes should the kids and I wear when we fish on the beach and in the water? Last time I was in Ft. Myers we wore our sandels and after seeing the stingrays swim by our feet they just didnt seem like the right footwaer.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Doing The Stingray Shuffle

http://www.jerrylabella.com/stingray.html

Good to Know
If you are injured by a stingray you should promptly seek expert medical help.

In the meantime

1) Rinse the wound thoroughly with fresh water. Use ocean water only if no fresh water is available.

2) Soak the wound in water that is as hot as you can tolerate, though not so hot that it burns your skin (110 degrees Fahrenheit or 44 degrees Celsius). Normally this will ease the pain within about 30 to 90 minutes. Repeat the hot-water soaking if pain returns.

3) Carefully search for and remove any pieces of stinger or its sheath (protective covering). Scrub the injured area with soap and water. Then pour lots of fresh water over it.

4) Do not tape or sew the wound closed unless this is needed to stop a lot of bleeding.

5) If the wound shows signs of infection, you’ll need to take antibiotics. A tetanus shot may also be needed.

I myself when walking in the river wear a old pair of tennis shoes and do the shuffle.
Aqua shoes and maybe check out your local dive shop for scuba foot wear.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Man thanxs Koz-You really help spook my foot phobia.I never ever go fishing w/out foot wear.I look extremly sill with tan lines on my feet from wearing my Teva's.

I hate stuff(sea monsters) messing w/ my feetsy's,not even my wife.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Kozlow, instead of getting new shoes maybe I will get a boat instead after reading this story. I will definitely bring my old shoes or get some aqua shoes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts