Pier and Surf Forum banner

Flyfishing

858 views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
I will be moving to Virginia Beach in early July and was wondering if anyone could help me out with any good spots to flyfish for Stripers Blues and Trout I am new to saltwater flyfishing I have always flyfished in freshwater for trout and have been doing this and tying for almost 30 years now.I would appreciate any help on getting the right set up I guess I would need a 9' 9 or 10 weight rod and maybe a system 2 reel but am not sure about what type of line whether a weight forward intermediate sink or just use a shooting head with flat mono running line and backing your help would be appreciated thank you and tight lines to you all. :D

G
#2 ·
You should hook up with the Virginia Coastal Fly Anglers first thing. They will get you going really quick.

Virginia Coastal Fly Anglers

Basic tackle is 9' 9 wt. rod. fast action. You'll want a decent reel, saltwater proof of course, with a decent drag. 100-150 yards of backing, you will want an intermediate line, your workhorse if you wade. Shooting heads are my favorite and I always bring with me a 250, 450, and lead core line. You'll use these on a boat and throughout alot of your wading. Since some of the best fishing is in the colder weather/latter months of the year, I use a braided line as backing for my heads because it doesn't kink as much in the cold. Leaders are simple here. 3-6ft piece of clear mono 12-18#. Bring some shock leaders also for bluefish. Stripping basket will make your life much easier also.

Flys are the usual stiper selection...clouser and decievers. Chartruese over white with silver flash, black over olive over white, red over white. Might also tie some in wierd colors like pink/chartruese for trout, black/orange or red for with copper flash for reds in the marsh, crab patterns are great...chernobyl crab or borski's slider, shrimp patterns work well, etc. Black or white flys for night fishing.

As for places to go...I wade (no boat) so suggestions are for you on foot. I would try Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel at night concentrating around the pilings. Also walk Chicks beach. Lynhaven inlet is excellent also, fish the western side, casting out around the bridge. When you get here in July, I would concentrate on red fish in Lynnhaven bay marshes. You can wade some of it but it really helps to have a boat or kayak. Other places to fish for striper are Ft. Story off the rocks, Va. Beach off the surf looking for birds or holes....very flat beach though, Sandbridge is the northern part of the outerbanks and can produce lots of fish also.

If your fishing by boat...well, then it gets a whole lot easier. Stripers, Blues, Spade fish (chesapeake permit), trout, etc. Do a search on amazon about fly fishing the chesapeake and you will pull up a book written recently that will help out alot.

Although I'm a hard core fly rodder, a solid piece of advice is to always keep a light tackle spinning outfit in the car with plugs or jigs for those certain moments of frustration.

Another board that recently started is:

Flyfish outerbanks and chesapeake

Ruthless Fishing

SEFLY

Good luck...

#3 ·
Thanks for all the helpful info DoubleHaul I do intend on joining that flyfishing club when I get there I always was a member of trout unlimited and think there are needs for clubs like that.I wade too dont have a boat wouldnt go on one anyhoo cuz I get seasick lol.So I ll get some chestwaders I guess an go slog around in the gunk lookin for some slammers thanks again maybe I can hook up with you when I get there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.