Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here do fly tying for salt water? If so, ideas on where to purchase supplies and any helpful hints, web sites would be appreciated. We figure we might as well learn this while waiting for the fish to return.

·
Registered
145 Posts
yes i tye my own flies for stripers as well as reds and trout. not much to it really. i do recomend a GOOD, revolving vice. cabelas has alot of fly tying material and if you go to their web page you can order a catalogue that has tying supplies. if i can be of any further help just let me know.

·
Registered
314 Posts
bass pro

i thought i saw some fly tying guides at bass pro.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't remeber the name but there is a store at hilltop east that is all about fly fishing. The back third of the store is all fly tying material. It's been about two years since I last stoped in so I hope it is still there.

Robert

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Bishops has most all the flytyeing stuff you need. They also have a guy that will sell you what you need. I talked to him about just buying a starterkit and he said come in and he could piece together what is used localy VS wolly buggers.
I believe he works on Saturday.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ok, fly tyin, I tie my own, both salt and fresh water flies. One of the best things you can do for saltwater is to join the Virginia Coastal Fly Anglers, a local saltwater fly fishing club. The have fly tying the hour before the meeting and then a meeting about local and other fly fishing related issues/locals/how to's and many other things. it can be found at http://www.vcfa.org/ As for the fly store at hilltop, it was the Anglers Lab, it has since closed two years ago. The man that ran the store, Ron, now is the head guy at Bass Pro in hampton in the fly department. Talk to him about starting out and the fishing club. If you just want to get together to learn, let me know, would be glad to sit down with you anytime and give you a hand and teach you a few sinple flies to get you started!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fly Tying

I have been tying flies for over 30 years now I learned to tie in Pennsylvania where I tied all trout flies and streamers since I moved down here in August(Va Beach) the best place i have found in this area is Lighthouse tackle on shore road talk to Ann down there she knows the business and has some good patterns there I suggest you go to Barnes an Noble and pick up a book by Bob Popkovics from new jersey called pop flies its the goin thing now flies made of epoxy and silicon mostly very easy to tie and no need for a whole lot of materials.There is a new store opening in the spring in Va Beach on Independance near Va Beach Blvd in case anyone was wondering what that big cinder block wall was its a place called Galyans an I think they are gonna put a hurtin on Bass Pro check them out they are on the internet have 4 stores up in the northern part of the state.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
the orvis shop at hilltop is closed. there are some local tackle shops that carry fly fishing gear. check them out.

Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts